• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So many car threads..."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It's a Peugeot Vectra now.
    Whatever...

Not touching either of them.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I need to get a new car. Maybe I should start a thread on the merits of a Vauxhall Vectra. Obviously I will go get something else...
    It's a Peugeot Vectra now.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I need to get a new car. Maybe I should start a thread on the merits of a Vauxhall Vectra. Obviously I will go get something else...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    good one

1.35pound a liter last thursday

Milan

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    oh yes, the price of petrol

on the mainland most of the west and central European countries are paying the equivalent of 1eur at the pump for a litre of diesel

remind me how much they were charging last week at membury services

Milan.
    At current rates, apparently, about 1 euro per litre...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Ah, BS4040
    "Specification for leaded petrol (gasoline) for motor vehicles" from 1967

1-Star (89 RON)
    2-Star (92 RON)
    3-Star (95 RON)
    4-Star (98 RON)
    5-Star (101 RON)

(But I could be wrong)
    Petrol in the UK is 95 RON, with 98 RON being these Shell and Esso special grades, which you only really need in top end turbo charged motors.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    But is that two, four or five star petrol? That's what I want to know.
    Ah, BS4040
    "Specification for leaded petrol (gasoline) for motor vehicles" from 1967

1-Star (89 RON)
    2-Star (92 RON)
    3-Star (95 RON)
    4-Star (98 RON)
    5-Star (101 RON)

(But I could be wrong)

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Well, my choice is either a 2l or a 2.9l engine. Petrol is 116.9p per litre.

If I wanted to use the EU standard units, I'd talk in watts.
    If I wanted to use the SI standard units, it's also watts. That's the global standard and is named after a Scotsman.
    So, much as you'd like to bash the EU (as ever and at every opportunity), you'd look as big an idiot as usual for doing so.

Perhaps you'd prefer we used the FFF system?

http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf...chure_8_en.pdf
    But is that two, four or five star petrol? That's what I want to know.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

If I wanted to use the SI standard units, it's also watts. That's the global standard and is named after a Scotsman.
    So, much as you'd like to bash the EU (as ever), you'd look as big an idiot as usual for doing so.

oh yes, the price of petrol

on the mainland most of the west and central European countries are paying the equivalent of 1eur at the pump for a litre of diesel

remind me how much they were charging last week at membury services

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    So many car threads...

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Shouldn't we be using standard EU metric units for power, if we're ... Ah, no, as you were.

So, much as you'd like to bash the EU (as ever and at every opportunity), you'd look as big an idiot as usual for doing so.

http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf...chure_8_en.pdf

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Should my next car be 280bhp or 503bhp?
    Shouldn't we be using standard EU metric units for power, if we're ... Ah, no, as you were.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Try a bicycle.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I am for the extra horse power, not necessarily for top speed, but it comes in very useful for over taking

I was in the UK last week, drove from Gatwick to central London and then to the FoD.

I gotta say, the UK is becoming one full time traffic jam.

It seems, no matter what time of day, no matter what day, there were congested motorways.

My conclusion is obviously, those same old motorways which have been there for the last 40 years don't have the bandwidth/capacity for the number of cars

And as public transport in the UK will never be invested in, and therefore never seduce people away from the motor car, then the only way will be to add more lanes to the main motorway arteries

I had to laugh, driving down the M4 to the west country and the FoD, I was surprised and taken aback to see one of those old Intercity 125 diesel locomotives still in use !!!! How old are those things ? and the line on the welsh side is still not even electrified

Where are we ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    you mean 284 or 510 PS ??

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied