• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coffee and bloating"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    But is it Kopi Luwak?
    Two civets one cup....

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Coffee and bloating

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Try shoving it up the other end....

But is it Kopi Luwak?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Coffee and bloating
    Try shoving it up the other end....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I thought Bloating was a Jamaican fan.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Coffee and bloating

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Clearly, occasionally slipping in and out of a mild state of ketosis as a result of lower carb consumption is not the same thing as putting yourself in a persistent state of induced ketosis.

That said, I would consider anywhere between 50-100g of carbs a day to be a "low carb" diet and this generally isn't low enough to induce a prolonged state of ketosis.
    Agreed.

I've personally tried <40g a day and it was thoroughly unpleasant.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Ketosis isn't binary though, and if you are on a low carb diet you are probably already in mild ketosis.
    Clearly, occasionally slipping in and out of a mild state of ketosis as a result of lower carb consumption is not the same thing as putting yourself in a persistent state of induced ketosis.

That said, I would consider anywhere between 50-100g of carbs a day to be a "low carb" diet and this generally isn't low enough to induce a prolonged state of ketosis.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Let's just be clear here: being in a state of ketosis is an extreme state to put your body in. A keto diet is normally prescribed for extremely obese patients and several other conditions. It's a medically supervised intervention. By all means reduce your carb intake if it helps you lose weight and you have a tendency to overeat starchy foods but nobody needs to put themselves into a state of ketosis to lose weight.
    Ketosis isn't binary though, and if you are on a low carb diet you are probably already in mild ketosis.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Ketosis kicks in around <50g a day. But it does also depend on your genetics and activity level, as well as what the carbs are made out of.
    Let's just be clear here: being in a state of ketosis is an extreme state to put your body in. A keto diet is normally prescribed for extremely obese patients and several other conditions. It's a medically supervised intervention. By all means reduce your carb intake if it helps you lose weight and you have a tendency to overeat starchy foods but nobody needs to put themselves into a state of ketosis to lose weight.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    You know, I've dabbled with keto in the past but there's a good argument to be made that his is *not* a diet that should be taken on by anybody without medical supervision. It's an extreme diet and one that is usually used in extreme cases under medical supervision.

http://angry-chef.com/blog/the-natur...rnative-part-1
    It depends how extreme you go into it. Some people don't eat any fruit or veg; which I don't agree with. So have <20g of carbs a day.

If you aim for <100g then you are in a Generally low carb diet, and can still enjoy veg and fruit as well as nuts.

Ketosis kicks in around <50g a day. But it does also depend on your genetics and activity level, as well as what the carbs are made out of.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Coffee can give me gut rot, with or without milk.

If you are serious about weight loss then follow these principles;

Stop drinking alcohol
    Drink water - and lots of it
    Avoid tea and coffee / green tea is ok
    Do not eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes

Your liver is an essential organ when metabolising fat. By following the above you keep it in peak performance.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
    You know, I've dabbled with keto in the past but there's a good argument to be made that his is *not* a diet that should be taken on by anybody without medical supervision. It's an extreme diet and one that is usually prescribed by doctors in extreme cases.

http://angry-chef.com/blog/the-natur...rnative-part-1

There's no one size fits all approach to weight loss, but the best general advice that can be given is: eat a balanced range of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, reduce alcohol intake, increase vegetable intake, consumer fewer calories than you expend on a daily basis, exercise and instead of demonising any one particular food as "bad", just try and cut out or reduce the high calorie foods that you personally find addictive or know that you eat too much of - that could be bread, cakes, sweets, lattes, pizza etc.

There is nothing inherently unhealthy about bread, pasta, rice or potatoes - its just that a lot of overweight people have a tendency to overeat some or all of these foods. If you can't get through the day without eating more than 2 slices of bread, then maybe stop buying bread for a while.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 18 August 2017, 12:45.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    I used to stop at an Aldi on the walk to work to grab a yogurt drink (500ml). "A watered down yoghurt" I thought, a good bit of goodness in the morning.

Then one day I read the ingredients, 65g of sugar!
    Wow. Thats 16.25 teaspoons.

Eek!

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Coffee and bloating

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh FFS, I posted links to a series of articles explaining what a load of bollocks that is just a few days ago. Pay attention, people!
    You can post what you like. It's not BS it's absolutely legit.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    12 teaspoons?! WTF!?

I thought they could call juice "pure" only if there was no added effing sugar!!
    https://www.tropicana.co.uk/our-prod...tra-juicy-bits

Pretty much, just checked their website. 9.1g per 100ml.

4g is one teaspoon. So 9.1 x 5 / 4 = 11.375 teaspoons (using their latest nutritional info).

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I used to stop at an Aldi on the walk to work to grab a yogurt drink (500ml). "A watered down yoghurt" I thought, a good bit of goodness in the morning.

Holy guacamole! That's nauseating

There really should be a massive tax on added sugar. But it won't happen while Jamaica remains in the Commonwealth.

(I know fruit juice contains quite a bit of sugar already, and that's fair enough, not much one can do about it.)

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    12 teaspoons?! WTF!?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X