• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract: Notice Period 3 Months"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Be clear the difference between zero notice I.e can bin you on the spot and no notice though where you can't give notice.

Leave a comment:

• Milestone
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Talk to your agent - tell them your concerns. Or edit it yourself before signing.
    No agent involved, going direct. As per some of the other replies this could be an IR35 issue, after a bit more research I have some good links to articles now stating the ideal IR35 position is no notice period and 3 months would be difficult to defend. So will flag this up and request notice in the contract is changed to something reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    offer them 1 week for first 4 weeks, then 3 months after. Point out that they hardly want to keep an unhappy contractor with no experience.

so if either side hates each other they can escape at the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Milestone View Post
    I have been offered a contract with a 3 month notice period either way on an initial 6 month contract. Have not signed the contract yet; IR35 review stage. Even when I was a permie my maximum notice period was 1 month. I'd be more comfortable with 2, maximum 3, weeks. Any thoughts on pros/cons of such a long notice period?
    Read
    the
    small
    print
    it's most likely that even if it is three months either side,
    they can still dump you without notice under
    some circumstances

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Talk to your agent - tell them your concerns. Or edit it yourself before signing.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Am sure that 3 months is frowned upon from an IR35 perspective. Just too long.
    Unlike your bits that are too short.

Now we just need a mod to move this thread to the proper professional forum and give me a googleplex of infraction points.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Am sure that 3 months is frowned upon from an IR35 perspective. Just too long.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Yes, but I am getting the wording checked as it is substitution on their approval, which to me indicates not true substitution and an element of control.
    Sure. But if you really want to leave you can demand to send a substitute and generally be such a nuisance they let you go. Not ideal but nobody wants someone who does not want to be there. I wouldn't worry about it unless there as other alarm bells.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Yes, but I am getting the wording checked as it is substitution on their approval, which to me indicates not true substitution and an element of control.
    Within reason.

A client could reasonably expect some proof your substitution is of a similar quality to you if they are still expected to pay the dollar.

Leave a comment:

• Milestone
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Do you have a substitution clause?

Leave a comment:

• Milestone
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do you believe that if they give you 3 months notice then they will give you work for 3 months? If so, it will give you some security.

Suppose you hate it though? Can you wait 3 months to get out?
    That's the problem, not started the gig, don't know what people/environment are like, have good idea of scale/scope of project (I am a PM), and the project I am taking on is probably 2 years e-2-e. Just debating whether to insist on shorter notice period as 3 months is a long time.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    That's the problem, not started the gig, don't know what people/environment are like, have good idea of scale/scope of project (I am a PM), and the project I am taking on is probably 2 years e-2-e. Just debating whether to insist on shorter notice period as 3 months is a long time.
    Do you have a substitution clause?

Leave a comment:

• Milestone
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do you believe that if they give you 3 months notice then they will give you work for 3 months? If so, it will give you some security.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I have been offered a contract with a 3 month notice period either way on an initial 6 month contract. Have not signed the contract yet; IR35 review stage. Even when I was a permie my maximum notice period was 1 month. I'd be more comfortable with 2, maximum 3, weeks. Any thoughts on pros/cons of such a long notice period?
    You can always find a way to get out of it if you really want to.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X