• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Evil EU strikes again"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    Quick ! Get your hat back on !

Where's my picture ???
    The Illuminati must have pinched it!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    And how much of that increased safety has come from the philanthropic nature of the privatised franchises compared to how much from EU regulation?
    Entirely due to the trains running so slowly.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    WHS (meant to make the same point before Milan bungey jumped in and beat me to it)

And once cash is eliminated, there will be absolutely no privacy, and the EU can impose a transaction tax on every transfer.

So far from benefitting consumers long term, the EU are taking this sinister first step towards a totalitarian's dream.
    Quick ! Get your hat back on !

Where's my picture ???
    Last edited by radish2008; 20 July 2017, 09:09. Reason: Puzzled ???

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    Another rail statistic is your chances of dying whilst travelling by train. Since privatisation, the number of passengers and journeys has increased, but fatalities caused by train crashes has gone to almost zero. The last crash fatality was over 10 years ago when one person died in all that carnage at Grayrigg.

(Excluding suicides, pedestrian foolishness, level crossing incidents and other similar train to car incidents)
    And how much of that increased safety has come from the philanthropic nature of the privatised franchises compared to how much from EU regulation?

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    I'm not sure I can agree with you there on service. Numbers of journeys and passengers has increased, and trains arriving on time has also increased. Fares have increased in real terms (2.7% though, hardly skyrocketing).
    Another rail statistic is your chances of dying whilst travelling by train. Since privatisation, the number of passengers and journeys has increased, but fatalities caused by train crashes has gone to almost zero. The last crash fatality was over 10 years ago when one person died in all that carnage at Grayrigg.

(Excluding suicides, pedestrian foolishness, level crossing incidents and other similar train to car incidents)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...And once cash is eliminated...
    It'll never last. Some beggar, sooner or later, will write an IOU... (Neal Asher - Gridlinked)
    there will be absolutely no privacy
    And there is now? when was the last time you made a significant payment in cash?
    ...and the EU can impose a transaction tax on every transfer.
    As opposed to bank charges, or lost of interest during "clearing"?

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Evil EU strikes again

I'm not "remembering the old days with great fondness", nor do I belong in the Tory Party. I'm saying there has not been an improvement in service, yet instead of a reduction in fares, they have skyrocketed.
    I'm not sure I can agree with you there on service. Numbers of journeys and passengers has increased, and trains arriving on time has also increased. Fares have increased in real terms (2.7% though, hardly skyrocketing).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail..._Great_Britain

Vodaphone are tulipe though, they were on Watchdog again last night.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    No, it isn't. They have millions of customers, and if they want to keep them they'd do well to listen to them. Nobody will want to be the first network to reintroduce roaming charges. How many customers do you think they'd lose?
    I you phone from the IOM or CI you will not only do you still pay roaming charges but also the rates are horrendous. It the phone companies wanted competition, then they had ample opportunity to reduce roaming charges for the IOM and CI. Last time I was in the IOM, two hours on Vodafone cost me £250.

Another benefit we may lose is the EU wide cover for car insurance. It will be back to the old days of purchasing a green card.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Mainline trains got nicer, quicker.

Fares gone way beyond where they should be - totally unequitable deal.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Whilst I work on the other points, we'll start on rail. Yes fares went up (by far too much) post privatisation, but if you remember the old British Rail days with much fondness for great service, you really are ready for the loony bin. The only good thing about the service back then was that one could smoke on trains, which helped pass the time spent not actually moving.
    I'm not "remembering the old days with great fondness", nor do I belong in the Tory Party. I'm saying there has not been an improvement in service, yet instead of a reduction in fares, they have skyrocketed.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Zero (or a tiny fraction of a percent)

1. Where is their bigger customer base? UK or Outside UK?
    2. Which customers will be worse off as a result? UK or Outside UK?
    3. How long after one network does it before the others follow suit? You know how privatising the rail network was supposed to improve services and reduce fares, but what actually happened was increased fares and reduced service.

Just to add some numbers to that...
    Vodafone have a 16% market share in the UK. They also have the worst customer service, according to Which. Even with that terrible customer service, their loyal customers aren't running from them. It's like people voting Tory no matter how often they lie/do U turns.

Vodafone UK were responsible for £6.4 billion revenue in 2015. £22 billion came from Europe and £13 billion from elsewhere.
    Whilst I work on the other points, we'll start on rail. Yes fares went up (by far too much) post privatisation, but if you remember the old British Rail days with much fondness for great service, you really are ready for the loony bin. The only good thing about the service back then was that one could smoke on trains, which helped pass the time spent not actually moving.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    ...rather than the UK being forced into it with no say, as we've been in practice for just about every EEC/EU initiative since we joined the common market!
    Sorry, how many laws have the UK been forced into by the EU without any say whatsoever?
    It's one of your claims again, so I'd love to see some facts to back it up, rather than just a DM type headline.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Does that mean that by TM the PM taking the EU proposal and pushing it further than the EU wants it pushed that she is doing a more sinister first step towards he totalitarian dream?

You can't have your argument both ways!
    That's undeniably a fair point.

But as always, once we're out of the EU it will be the UK Parliament's responsibility to either implement or ditch this scheme, rather than the UK being forced into it with no say, as we've been in practice for just about every EEC/EU initiative since we joined the common market!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    WHS (meant to make the same point before Milan bungey jumped in and beat me to it)

And once cash is eliminated, there will be absolutely no privacy, and the EU can impose a transaction tax on every transfer.

So far from benefitting consumers long term, the EU are taking this sinister first step towards a totalitarian's dream.
    Does that mean that by TM the PM taking the EU proposal and pushing it further than the EU wants it pushed that she is doing a more sinister first step towards he totalitarian dream?

You can't have your argument both ways!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    the EU et al want a cashless society, this is a step in that direction ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X