• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bye bye NHS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bye bye NHS"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Are they any benefits to working in the NHS?
    I think that was covered:

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    everything designed by committee with constant meetings attended by hordes of permies each wanting a finger in every pie
    = Neverending contracts

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    I wouldn't exactly say circa £250 per day give or take fifty quid well paid given expenses no longer allowed to be put through the books. That's about the average for NHS contracting (outside London).
    250 a day, can I ask why you didnt move into the private sector? Are they any benefits to working in the NHS?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I wouldn't exactly say circa £250 per day give or take fifty quid well paid given expenses no longer allowed to be put through the books. That's about the average for NHS contracting (outside London).
    I feel sorry for anyone contracting in the NHS, not only the IR35 hoohah but the modest rates, and everything designed by committee with constant meetings attended by hordes of permies each wanting a finger in every pie (With your user name, you must be all too familiar with that! )

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    High earning NHS contractor points out that cash strapped NHS is fooocked...

Classic.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Working on the Windows 3.1 upgrade?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    For anyone in a critical condition, the NHS works incredibly well. A few outliers - like what happened to Mother-Out-Law.

For those not critical, it is not so good.
    Unfortunately I know far too many people - myself included - who if they were treated earlier would have cost the NHS far less to treat as they wouldn't have need emergency care and/or expensive medication.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    I've spent 10 good years contracting with the NHS
    Working on the Windows XP upgrade?

Leave a comment:

• tiggat
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    the latter because its outcomes are poor.
    are they?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    For anyone in a critical condition, the NHS works incredibly well. A few outliers - like what happened to Mother-Out-Law.

For those not critical, it is not so good.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It's clear both the excessively privatised US system and its diametric opposite, the Soviet_style, centrally funded UK NHS are not fit for purpose.
    The former because it costs the US excessively while excluding the poorest, the latter because its outcomes are poor.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ountries-study

A European-style insurance-based system is the best option.
    But the number of stupid people in this country is now so excessive that anyone who starts talking about NHS change is crucified.
    Even middle class people think dumping money in the NHS is the solution

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    But it often does and for many businesses in the private sector this is how it works.

New CEO comes in, reduces costs by outsourcing, they get their bonus, leave and company is still in a crap situation only now the outsourcing company is increasing costs and their service is crap.
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    And then the CEO and outsourcing company boss meet up for game of golf before a few drinks down at The lodge.
    Indeed - in fact the 'old boys network' is probably one of the biggest threats to the UK - forget Brexit or Labour/Tory - but the inability for business leaders to stop this pointless merry go round of useless tw@s

Main problem is those at the top are on the same merry go round!

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Bye bye NHS

But it often does and for many businesses in the private sector this is how it works.

New CEO comes in, reduces costs by outsourcing, they get their bonus, leave and company is still in a crap situation only now the outsourcing company is increasing costs and their service is crap.
    And then the CEO and outsourcing company boss meet up for game of golf before a few drinks down at The lodge.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by tiggat View Post
    Is competition a good thing in healthcare? It was outsourcing cleaning that gave rise to MRSA in British hospitals ...
    Remember when hospitals used to smell of bleach. Lovely smell. Now they smell of body fluids.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Competition doesn't mean go for the cheapest bid.....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by tiggat View Post
    Is competition a good thing in healthcare? It was outsourcing cleaning that gave rise to MRSA in British hospitals ...
    Competition doesn't mean go for the cheapest bid.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X