• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should DNA tests be routine?"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    If everyone is on the database, then an incorrect match with an individual is unlikely to be a unique match. Multiple matching acts against incorrect idenitfication.
    Science fiction gradually becoming science fact....?

Gattaca (1997) - IMDb

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You're right, although it sounds more like a Sword of Damocles.
    I was thinking the evils it could be used for would be multiple and completely unexpected when you opened the Box but the

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If everyone is on the database, then an incorrect match with an individual is unlikely to be a unique match. Multiple matching acts against incorrect idenitfication.
    But according to all those true crime programs they only put part of your DNA on a database to save money. This means even if you don't have an identical twin there is a possibility of there being a match against you.

Remember they use to claim, until DNA turned up, that finger prints and foot prints were unique....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Something to bear in mind is that the larger the DNA database grows, then obviously the closer and closer similar profiles become.

So expanding the database to include everyone will greatly increase the chance of an incorrect match and at the very least often make it harder to be confident of a correct match.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    'Some'? More than one and less than all?
    Ask people whose kids have fetal abnormalities.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    Sadly I've become addicted to the true crime/forensic investigation programmes. Although it's true that most people are murdered by people they know and the police can catch them quite quickly, there's quite a lot of unsolved murders. I have found myself wondering whether it might be a good idea to log our dna at birth. It's just that I hate the idea of people literally getting away with murder. And many crimes would be solved so much quicker.
    I know. Civil liberties.
    Something to bear in mind is that the larger the DNA database grows, then obviously the closer and closer similar profiles become.

So expanding the database to include everyone will greatly increase the chance of an incorrect match and at the very least often make it harder to be confident of a correct match.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    We already have doctors encouraging the aborting of children with 'foetal abnormalities', some of whom when they are born turn out to be perfectly fine.
    It's dangerous ground, I agree.
    'Some'? More than one and less than all?

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    But then UKIP get into power and start rounding up people with Romany genetic markers.
    We already have doctors encouraging the aborting of children with 'foetal abnormalities', some of whom when they are born turn out to be perfectly fine.
    It's dangerous ground, I agree.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Sadly I've become addicted to the true crime/forensic investigation programmes. Although it's true that most people are murdered by people they know and the police can catch them quite quickly, there's quite a lot of unsolved murders. I have found myself wondering whether it might be a good idea to log our dna at birth. It's just that I hate the idea of people literally getting away with murder. And many crimes would be solved so much quicker.
    I know. Civil liberties.
    But then UKIP get into power and start rounding up people with Romany genetic markers.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I remember in a break through case some guy got caught because they had his sister's DNA.
    I know. Civil liberties.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    The other thing with all this is that although it could result in better treatment for people that have a cancer causing gene, it could also result in worse treatment for anyone who doesn't as they decide cancer is less likely and so don't do the proper tests.
    or shove you to the back of the queue, so the tests are delayed.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Unfortunately the Government & ABI have a different opinion of this

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-...netic-testing/

from the Concordat
    As I said, legislation can manage this. Parliament is sovereign.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Those with nothing to hide have nothing to fear. Allegedly .
    Very true.
    Assuming you don't happen to live in a country that turns into a new:
    Nazi Germany
    Soviet Russia
    North Korea
    etc, etc, etc,

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    The other thing with all this is that although it could result in better treatment for people that have a cancer causing gene, it could also result in worse treatment for anyone who doesn't as they decide cancer is less likely and so don't do the proper tests.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I believe if they become routine then they will form part of insurance decisions in the future. This is the same as many other methods the insurance industry uses to target us.

They may be excluded at present but its a Pandora's box.
    You're right, although it sounds more like a Sword of Damocles.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 July 2017, 14:25.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X