• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "GBP in crisis, interest rates increase to save pound"

Collapse

• chopper
    replied
    Typically interest rates are used to cool an overheating economy, low interest rates to create corporate investment and consumption, high interest rates to reduce consumption and stop inflation going out of control.

Right now we have a scenario where inflation isn't being caused by an overheating economy, but rather a weak pound. The LAST thing the economy needs is higher interest rates to curb investment as that will tip the economy over the edge. The inflationary pressures of a weak pound will resolve themselves within a year.

Higher interest rates will improve sterling - it is doing well against USD, at a high point since September 2016 (other than one random day in May) but not so well against EUR which suggests it isn't a strengthening pound but a weakening dollar. Improved sterling reduces inflation, but runs the risk that businesses start hoarding cash instead of investing (and employing).

The weak pound is, of course, caused by the Tory wet dream of a Hard Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The only deflating thing will be wages...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    We still have the deflation crisis to hit before the inflation stagflation future....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    3% will be the new normal.

You've heard it on here first...

Interest on mortgages will be about the same as it was when rates were 5-6% - bigger margin for banks.

Interest on savings will be still next to zero...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I hope they put it up by 5%. That's an extra 50k a year to me in interest payments.
    I'd love that, but they won't. An interest rate of 5- 6% is still low in historical terms.
    But, the economy would collapse like a deck of cards.
    Just goes to show how our so-called "prosperity" is just smoke and mirrors held together by the quick heroin fix of free money.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Carney! Carney! Carney!

Go Carney!

I knew that useless, overpaid, Canadian chunt would pay dividends in the end.

Looks like these may still be worth something at least.

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 29 June 2017, 13:58.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I hope they put it up by 5%. That's an extra 50k a year to me in interest payments.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

What a croc.

GBP is almost at its highest since Nov 2016.

May it keep going.

Going to suit me down to the ground

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Which is still more than Swindon.....
    In Brum you don't have to share your outdoor lav.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    GBP in crisis, interest rates increase to save pound...

... within days.

What a croc.

GBP is almost at its highest since Nov 2016.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    £40 / week above a kebab shop.
    Which is still more than Swindon.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Ah yes. I forgot how cheap bedsits are in Brum. Apologies.
    £40 / week above a kebab shop.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What's mortgage?
    Ah yes. I forgot how cheap bedsits are in Brum. Apologies.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    As you now have a mortgage, you should be pleased....
    What's mortgage?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Carney suddenly change his tone (again), and this time he supports rate increases...

The Feds are increasing rates nicely, BoE and ECB should follow just like they did (in agreement) dropped interest rates.

Banks probably won't increase it for savers though
    As you now have a mortgage, you should be pleased....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X