• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Eavis: There will be a Glastonbury 2018 if Mystery Band Reforms"

Collapse

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Butthole Surfers with Sh!t Lady. Now that would be something...

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Oh yes, Reading Rock Festival in the early 80's.
    Wild Thing!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosTzYSUYO4
    Stonehenge '84 - I so nearly went but ended up going on the pull in Bath instead.

What I missed....

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Saw them in Weymouth a few weeks back. Proper festival band.

Anyone remember The Enid?
    Oh yes, Reading Rock Festival in the early 80's.
    Wild Thing!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosTzYSUYO4

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I've never understood the fuss over Oasis. Not even in the 90s. All their stuff just sounds like a bland rehash of things that have gone before homogenised into one big tuneless dirge. Though I do like Wonderwall.
    They picked up from the Roses. If the Roses had not split up Oasis wouldn't have got so big.

Noel is a very decent songwriter but they were a pub band really. Saying that, they have produced a handful of anthems.

And the antics of Liam suited the fashion of the time for laddish behaviour. He became the leader of the new lads, never out of the press. He has made his money and moved on, so have the new lads who are mid-career now. But the old lads, who were manipulated - are immersed in coke habits that they can't afford. So there was a mass media manipulation of the working class - by the media - and Oasis profited from that.

I liked them at the time but a lot of dance music that came out at the time, for me has aged better- eg. Leftism by Leftfield.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Yeah, and this is who they should have. None of the MOR/AOR tripe:

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Just been confirmed it's on 2018, Marillion are flatlining.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Dunno but amazed how many ancient groups are still going, like Fleetwood Mac (sort of) and The Zombies.
    Yeah, and this is who they should have. None of the MOR/AOR tripe:

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    All their stuff just sounds like a bland rehash of things that have gone before homogenised into one big tuneless dirge
    All their stuff sounds the same to me.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    I can see what you're saying there to a certain extent but they did have a lot of energy in their songs. Mind, I did like a lot of the other BritPop stuff that was around at the time too.
    Probably needed to have seen them live. I said the same thing about another BritPop band, Carter USM, until I went to see them.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I've never understood the fuss over Oasis. Not even in the 90s. All their stuff just sounds like a bland rehash of things that have gone before homogenised into one big tuneless dirge. Though I do like Wonderwall.
    I can see what you're saying there to a certain extent but they did have a lot of energy in their songs. Mind, I did like a lot of the other BritPop stuff that was around at the time too.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I suppose one day we'll finally get Oasis but it doesn't seem to be happening in a rush.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    It should be noted that bands can replace members who have gone their separate ways for one reason or another and pretty much carry on with no dilution to their pedigree.

Look at the Rolling Stones, Genesis, RHCP to name but a few.

But there are exceptions to this rule. I wouldn't say that going to see Queen is remotely the experience it was with Mercury on vocals. In fact, I'm tempted to say that it's hard to replace a frontman but then look at AC/DC, Manic Street Preachers, Fleetwood Mac - they've all gone on to greater things with a change up front.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Like any worthwhile band would reform for Glastonbury. Either they're too rich to care, too much bad history to allow it, or just to damn old to be any good, or all three.
    I suppose one day we'll finally get Oasis but it doesn't seem to be happening in a rush.

Leave a comment:

• westtester
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Guessing Rolf Harris won't be invited back.
    Has he reformed?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X