• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting Quotes in for building work - with or without materials"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    Let them supply labour and materials. At the end of the job there will be a breakdown, anything they use has to be notified to you as the client. CDM rules changed in 2015, have a quick look through them to see if they affect you?

They were chnaged mainly because of all these house SOS build programs showing builders doing really dodgy things with lintels and RSJ's... IMHO, I used to cringe when I saw them knocking block out with no acro's in place...
    I'm sure they were caught out a few times and suddenly put them in making up some tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Let them supply labour and materials. At the end of the job there will be a breakdown, anything they use has to be notified to you as the client. CDM rules changed in 2015, have a quick look through them to see if they affect you?

They were chnaged mainly because of all these house SOS build programs showing builders doing really dodgy things with lintels and RSJ's... IMHO, I used to cringe when I saw them knocking block out with no acro's in place...

Free download.

Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Any decent builder will be busy for the next decade and be charging £500/day.

If not they are not worth hiring.
    Depending what you want doing they can fit you in.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Which will be about $10. Sounds about right.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Didn't the first former Mrs BP give you building cladding for Christmas?
    well she was hot stuff!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    You still have to choose a really good builder in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    And the 2nd gift turned out to be defective fireworks I believe

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    How does it work out if you have a contractual dispute post-payment? Is it pick axe handle time?
    What with the VAT man?

You still have to choose a really good builder in the first place.
    The way you arrange the finances shouldn't change that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    The point I alluded was alluding too earlier was even VAT Inspectors have asked my old man for an "ex-VAT price"
    He said the guy seemed totally serious.

Needless to say, he suggested he "Didn't operate on such a basis"

(Maybe you should do the same, if you have plenty of cash available, that's the way to save real money )
    How does it work out if you have a contractual dispute post-payment? Is it pick axe handle time?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    That only happens with cladding on tower blocks....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Offer Cash Payment

The point I alluded was alluding too earlier was even VAT Inspectors have asked my old man for an "ex-VAT price"
    He said the guy seemed totally serious.

Needless to say, he suggested he "Didn't operate on such a basis"

(Maybe you should do the same, if you have plenty of cash available, that's the way to save real money )

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I suppose the other side is that if they supply materials you want to know they're not over-charging you for them and/or charging you for top-spec and buying cheap crap.
    That only happens with cladding on tower blocks....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I suppose the other side is that if they supply materials you want to know they're not over-charging you for them and/or charging you for top-spec and buying cheap crap.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    The Real Way to Save Real Money.

I assume I can get "trade prices" using MyCo's registration details at most big firms, it is more hassle than its worth to save a few quid or can the savings add up

No income tax, no VAT..........

Please note that is your good self on the right

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    unless there is a really significant cost saving i.e. you can source X amount of reclaimed bricks for peanuts via a friend or your uncle owns an insulation factory I wouldn't bother far too much hassle.We have sourced stuff for builders where we wanted to choose e.g. sinks / lights but a few times it has been hard work when they arrived, builders didn't like them /had plumbed etc. incorrectly for them (we had shown them & printed the instructions out.)

Maybe price the materials up personally and compare to their quote?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X