• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Tories would be mad to call an election now"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Fook it - I am going to contact Elon Musk see if there are any 1 way tickets to mars.
    Yay

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...isation-vision

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I voted Lib Dem in a Tory/ Lib Dem marginal the fecking Tory won. I blame older Labour voters who should have known better that they needed to vote tactically. The students who actually bothered to vote this time I can just about forgive....
    You say that...but everyone was saying my constituency (Colchester) was a Tory/Lib Dem marginal based on previous election results. Labour do OK in local elections here but haven't had any real impact at a GE since the 70s.

However there did seem to be an impression that the tide was turning against the Lib Dems due to their poor selection of candidate (the same guy who's been in power for the last few decades and lost last time). I was all set to vote LD tactically (and begrudgingly) but ended up voting Labour and as it turns out, Labour ended up massively beating the LDs into second place. The Tories only have a majority of 5000 and I wouldn't be surprised to see Labour pick up more votes here in another election.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I wouldn't encourage him. He's enough of a smart ass as it is!
    ...says the dumb ass.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why not have both?
    Good idea. No point holding sterling.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    They're splurging your cash on a leadership election. You should have got yourself better trim / features.
    Why not have both?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    LibDems will save them!!!
    They're splurging your cash on a leadership election. You should have got yourself better trim / features.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Karma's a bitch.
    LibDems will save them!!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    They won't without them winter fuel payments...
    Karma's a bitch.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Many Brexiteers won't survive a cold sharp winter.
    They won't without them winter fuel payments...

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Yes, Labour will be back, but it's YOU who caused it with Brexit vote, never forget it, we won't!
    Many Brexiteers won't survive a cold sharp winter.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You Remainers seem to be having a merry old time, chortling at the present (admittedly chaotic looking) situation.

But make the most of your little moment of fun, because come the next election if a soft Brexit or even no Brexit is on the cards then UKIP voters, both Tory and Labour, will be back with a vengeance (literally!)
    Yes, Labour will be back, but it's YOU who caused it with Brexit vote, never forget it, we won't!

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Even then, it's only the ones in marginals.

I voted Labour for the first time since '92, and am registered in a Tory / Labour marginal that was a Labour gain. Nice to feel that my vote counted for once.
    +1

I'm in Ealing & Acton, voted Tory last time but Labour this time. Rupa Huq increased her majority from 274 to over 11,000 so I wasn't the only one...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This was a rare election in that there were 13,743 people whose votes individually affected an outcome (i.e if any one of them had voted LD, it would have created a tie and then a coin toss*). Doesn't usually happen.

Fife North East parliamentary constituency - Election 2017 - BBC News

So unless you happen to vote for a candidate who:

- Wins following a coin toss tie break;
    - Wins with a majority of 1, or
    - Wins with a majority of 2, but would otherwise have gone on to lose a coin toss tie break...

... your vote counts for nothing.

*Other tie break mechanisms are available.
    The voter who swayed it for the SNP phoned into LBC, as he only decided as he was entering the polling booth, a very important influence on the election

In fact if the SNP had gained more seats his vote would have decided the General Election.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 June 2017, 14:51.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Yes but in the end although they're the ones that change the outcome they're still reflecting the view of the whole of the country.

The Tories got the most votes and the highest number of seats. That has always been the case that the party with the most votes gets the most seats.
    This was a rare election in that there were 13,743 people whose votes individually affected an outcome (i.e if any one of them had voted LD, it would have created a tie and then a coin toss*). Doesn't usually happen.

Fife North East parliamentary constituency - Election 2017 - BBC News

So unless you happen to vote for a candidate who:

- Wins following a coin toss tie break;
    - Wins with a majority of 1, or
    - Wins with a majority of 2, but would otherwise have gone on to lose a coin toss tie break...

... your vote counts for nothing.

*Other tie break mechanisms are available.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X