• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apple Looking After Users As Per Usual"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's ok no one wants your nude selfies.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Snarf View Post
    It was released in 2013 yes, but what was the date it was last available to buy? It was officially discontinued at the end of 2014 but apple were still selling their stock well into 2015.. so potentially someone could have bought a new phone 2 years ago to find it will no longer support new applications now... Its hardly a massive usability window is it?

It should be easy enough to offer old versions of the apps through the app store though - hell, it should be fairly easy for developers to build a 32 and 64 bit version of most apps and offer both - why limit yourself to only people with the latest handset when theres a massive market for 32bit apps still out there?

All that said, its apples hardware and apples ecosystem, if they want to discontinue 32bit support its entirly up to them.
    Twist it however you like, but even 2 years of OS updates after purchase is more than what the majority of Android handsets get, which in some cases is 0 OS updates after purchase and 2+ years is considered remarkable. Don't get me started on app (in)compatibility between Android distributions and handsets (in)capabilities to run them.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And?

iPhone 5 was released in 2012 and iPhone 5c was released in 2013 so are ancient technology....
    It was released in 2013 yes, but what was the date it was last available to buy? It was officially discontinued at the end of 2014 but apple were still selling their stock well into 2015.. so potentially someone could have bought a new phone 2 years ago to find it will no longer support new applications now... Its hardly a massive usability window is it?

It should be easy enough to offer old versions of the apps through the app store though - hell, it should be fairly easy for developers to build a 32 and 64 bit version of most apps and offer both - why limit yourself to only people with the latest handset when theres a massive market for 32bit apps still out there?

All that said, its apples hardware and apples ecosystem, if they want to discontinue 32bit support its entirly up to them.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Nothing has changed in the modus operandi - Apple has been pulling iOS updates for devices older than 5 years for some time now. The only news is that this time in addition old 32bit apps won't work on newer devices (if you update the OS, if there is a critical app you need, just don't update the OS). Cutting 32bit compatibility support will result in better experience for the majority of the users, while having little impact to the minority (8%ish) running older devices.

Old farts like Apple products because they are more or less foolproof and integrate extremely well with each other within the apple ecosystem.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Don't use Apple myself but the Ipad seems to be popular with a lot of non-techy old farts. They won't like this.

On second thoughts, they probably wont even notice.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Just don't buy anything apple (I'm saying this since the 1990's when windows 3.11 became highly superior over everything apple)

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If you don't want technology, why do you buy it? Get a Nokia 6310, but don't blame advances in tech for your prejudices and failings.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    All useful, although you and your beloved have clearly had a better experience than me. I should point out I have somewhat of an aversion to "the cloud" because I basically don't bloody trust it.
    It's ok no one wants your nude selfies.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Backups and photo downloading is done using iCloud.

Not sure why you are refusing to update your iTunes, sounds like user issues rather than system.

I've not plugged a phone in to a computer and used iTunes in years. I download apps through the App Store (which is software on the device).

My wife has one of the first (or maybe second) generation iPads. It is not compatible with the latest versions of iOS.
    It's running 9.3 (or something like that).
    We can still update apps (using the App Store)
    We can still download apps (using the App Store)

So all we have is a device not running the latest OS, but otherwise it is being kept as up to date as it can.
    All useful, although you and your beloved have clearly had a better experience than me. I should point out I have somewhat of an aversion to "the cloud" because I basically don't bloody trust it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Backups and downloading photos can't be done without iTunes, surely?
    Plus if I want an app that's only available on the new OS (which I can't run) I have to download in iTunes first and then it will install a compatible version (if available) on the phone.
    Then iTunes wants to update itself and screw the whole lot. I'm therefore using an ancient version of iTunes, but it seems to all work OK.
    Backups and photo downloading is done using iCloud.

Not sure why you are refusing to update your iTunes, sounds like user issues rather than system.

I've not plugged a phone in to a computer and used iTunes in years. I download apps through the App Store (which is software on the device).

My wife has one of the first (or maybe second) generation iPads. It is not compatible with the latest versions of iOS.
    It's running 9.3 (or something like that).
    We can still update apps (using the App Store)
    We can still download apps (using the App Store)

So all we have is a device not running the latest OS, but otherwise it is being kept as up to date as it can.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Being using Apple products for over 5 years and plan to keep using them in the near future, never had the need to use iTunes.
    Backups and downloading photos can't be done without iTunes, surely?
    Plus if I want an app that's only available on the new OS (which I can't run) I have to download in iTunes first and then it will install a compatible version (if available) on the phone.
    Then iTunes wants to update itself and screw the whole lot. I'm therefore using an ancient version of iTunes, but it seems to all work OK.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    My 2011 Macbook Pro is still used every day, although now classed as ancient so looks like I will be upgrading soon
    Considering what OS it is based on that's not surprising.

Phones are suppose to be more disposable.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    I would go out on a limb and say that his view changed because of the last year's MBP debacle, with that one Apple really shot themselves in the foot. The newly announced iMac Pro is yet another show of overconfidence that is about to be shattered. Non-upgradable workstation that starts at $5000... Fool me once (Mac Pro 2013 with next to no refreshes) shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

But on the mobiles front they are still going strong, although the true innovation (or at least popularization of someone else's ideas) died with Jobs. Let's see what the anniversary iPhone will bring to the table this autumn.
    I believe the main gripe of his is OS updates making hardware obsolete.

It will be interesting to see what he does, I suspect he will stick with Apple but possibly go 2nd hand.

He has used Apple OS for so many years I can't see him changing it.
    The strange thing is when I stayed with him in NZ, I got to quite like the Apple OS myself

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    My brother was pretty much an Apple Fanboi for many years, being a Graphic Designer.

Certainly sings a different tune now
    I would go out on a limb and say that his view changed because of the last year's MBP debacle, with that one Apple really shot themselves in the foot. The newly announced iMac Pro is yet another show of overconfidence that is about to be shattered. Non-upgradable workstation that starts at $5000... Fool me once (Mac Pro 2013 with next to no refreshes) shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

But on the mobiles front they are still going strong, although the true innovation (or at least popularization of someone else's ideas) died with Jobs. Let's see what the anniversary iPhone will bring to the table this autumn.

Leave a comment:

• grabri
    replied
    Why you'll never have a link to the latest up-to-date news....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X