• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who else is buying British and avoiding EU goods where possible?"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    What the hell do France buy from Germany? It's not food, wine or cars. Everyone I know who's French would rather buy Bulgarian than German.
    You can't know that many French people then. (Or you like to make sweeping generalisations based on skewed data sets)
    The 4 biggest imports into France from Germany are: aircraft (10%), cars (9%), aircraft parts and car parts

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Don't they all speak English?
    Really embarrassing actually. As I struggle to learn German.. .day to day others in the company rattle off Deutsch, French, English.. like it was their mother tongue in all three. Usually only switching to English for my benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    French-German dictionaries.

HTH
    Don't they all speak English?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What the hell do France buy from Germany?
    French-German dictionaries.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    FTFY
    1. France 138
    2. United States 121
    3. United Kingdom 105

And I'd expect the UK to drop a lot further once everyone is driving around in Leyland like Lada's
    What the hell do France buy from Germany? It's not food, wine or cars. Everyone I know who's French would rather buy Bulgarian than German.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Rolls-Royce cars are built by BMW, Bentleys are built by VW, Landrovers and Jaguar are built by Ford.
    Tata Motors now...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Wasn't it 'Buy German' back n the 30's

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you buy a Bentley or a Jaguar or a Nissan for example, you are at least supporting people in this country building cars. They have a job and their money and taxes are spent here. If more cars are sold, they might invest more in bigger factories here, hire more people, pay them more money here.

If you buy a car designed and assembled in a overseas factory, almost no employment is created here, almost none of the money stays here, almost zero investment occurs here, almost zero tax is collected here.
    This is a bad example I'm afraid.

Cars are one of the biggest exportations in the UK, in this case, I don't understand your problem.

Your model is not going to work because, and correct me if I'm wrong:

1- The factories are invested in countries where the salaries are low which is not UK case.

2- The UK unemployment is low.

3- The factories shall need to contract immigrants which it's not what you want.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It doesn't actually say that at all. Are you vying for the cretin of the month award or something?
    Lets put it this way, I'm sure the Germans will more than delighted if you buy a McClaren Mercedes.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    It doesn't actually say that at all. Are you vying for the cretin of the month award or something?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Or a McLaren P1

That shows your bremoaner anti British mindset.
    McClaren P1 to be built by Mercedes in Germany

Have another look at the list I posted, there are some nice cars.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I always imagine someone who buys British as someone who drives around in an Austin Princess.

Or a McLaren P1

That shows your bremoaner anti British mindset.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Rolls-Royce cars are built by BMW, Bentleys are built by VW, Landrovers and Jaguar are built by Ford. The only truly British car on the road is the Austin Princess, built by British Leyland.

If you buy British you're not really buying British at all you're probably propping up the German economy.

If you buy a Bentley or a Jaguar or a Nissan for example, you are at least supporting people in this country building cars. They have a job and their money and taxes are spent here. If more cars are sold, they might invest more in bigger factories here, hire more people, pay them more money here.

If you buy a car designed and assembled in a overseas factory, almost no employment is created here, almost none of the money stays here, almost zero investment occurs here, almost zero tax is collected here.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Buy British

Leave a comment:

Working...
X