• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What jobs do UK workers actually do?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Are we sure Diseasex isn't Diane Abbott?
    Big mouth, chip on shoulder & crap at figures

could be!

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    I knew you would pick that up. Couldn't care less about exact number..
    Hope you're not writing accounting software :-)

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Diseasex can muck up the sums more convincingly.
    Are we sure Diseasex isn't Diane Abbott?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That job is already taken - by Diane Abbott
    Diseasex can muck up the sums more convincingly.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    With your levels of arithmetic prowess, perhaps you might want to consider staying on in the UK as an accounting advisor to Jeremy Corbyn.

That job is already taken - by Diane Abbott

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    With your levels of arithmetic prowess, perhaps you might want to consider staying on in the UK as an accounting advisor to Jeremy Corbyn.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    An hour? - more like 30 minutes...
    You're working too hard

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Well according to the article in the OP about 900k people are on 0-hour contracts. How many of them are abusive is hard to tell, but I doubt it's that high. My example was extreme for visualisation purposes.

In reality I believe most of the people on 0-hour contracts are on them by choice, because it suits their needs/lifestyle and not because they can't find full time employment.
    The main stories of abuse are from large companies like Sports Direct and Amazon who employ people via agencies full time, and from stories about carers whose agencies provide services to local authorities.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    How wide spread is this though? I was on what would now be called a zero hours contract for about 4-years while doing my first degree. It was evening shifts - up to four a week. There was always work and very rarely less than four eveings.
    Well according to the article in the OP about 900k people are on 0-hour contracts. How many of them are abusive is hard to tell, but I doubt it's that high. My example was extreme for visualisation purposes.

In reality I believe most of the people on 0-hour contracts are on them by choice, because it suits their needs/lifestyle and not because they can't find full time employment.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Simples - There is work for 20 people in the warehouse, you employ 30 on 0-hour contracts, the first 20 to show up get to work, the rest are sent home. All 30 have a job.
    How wide spread is this though? I was on what would now be called a zero hours contract for about 4-years while doing my first degree. It was evening shifts - up to four a week. There was always work and very rarely less than four eveings.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by lucythewolf View Post
    ?could anyone explain to me how zero hour contracts actually work?

i don't understand how they factor this into more jobs available when some weeks you might only work 1 or 3 days or in other months you might only work for 2 weeks? where is the stability?
    Simples - There is work for 20 people in the warehouse, you employ 30 on 0-hour contracts, the first 20 to show up get to work, the rest are sent home. All 30 have a job.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    That's what you get with many on-shored workers - overpromise, under delivery and attention to detail is not a strong point..

Leave a comment:

• lucythewolf
    replied
    ?could anyone explain to me how zero hour contracts actually work?

i don't understand how they factor this into more jobs available when some weeks you might only work 1 or 3 days or in other months you might only work for 2 weeks? where is the stability?

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    10 minutes is 10% of an hour?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    That's what you get with many on-shored workers - overpromise, under delivery and attention to detail is not a strong point..
    Beat me to it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X