• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gardening tips

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gardening tips"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    A lot of indoor plants are very fastidious, they don't like being moved, don't like draughts, don't like being near radiators etc and the more exotic the plant, often the more fastidious it is. So, while those orchids you see in the garden centre look wonderful, you'll have your work cut out to get it to flower again the following year.

If you want something low maintenance I'd go for a variegated ivy or perhaps a spider plant. Both will look good hanging in an ornamental pot with their the foliage cascading over the sides.
    Variegated ivy and spider plants don't like full sun. So if the room is South facing you are going to have problems.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    If you want something that flowers, how about a Christmas cactus? They're quite easy to look after - again, keep away from radiators, make sure it gets plenty of light and feed weekly when it's in flower.
    Cactii are easy unless the room is North facing.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by lucythewolf View Post
    i know this is a gardening thread, but does anyone in here know of any plant that is suitable for indoors display?
    A lot of indoor plants are very fastidious, they don't like being moved, don't like draughts, don't like being near radiators etc and the more exotic the plant, often the more fastidious it is. So, while those orchids you see in the garden centre look wonderful, you'll have your work cut out to get it to flower again the following year.

If you want something low maintenance I'd go for a variegated ivy or perhaps a spider plant. Both will look good hanging in an ornamental pot with their the foliage cascading over the sides.

If you want something that flowers, how about a Christmas cactus? They're quite easy to look after - again, keep away from radiators, make sure it gets plenty of light and feed weekly when it's in flower.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Just over a week and it's growing very nicely! The soil is a bit bumpy but at least there is some grass, quite impressed with my efforts
    Pictures?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    What sort of "indoor display"? Are you wanting greenery, flowers, how big, how much light do you have, ...
    Added to that are you good at keeping plants alive?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    What sort of "indoor display"? Are you wanting greenery, flowers, how big, how much light do you have, ...

Leave a comment:

• lucythewolf
    replied
    indoor plants

i know this is a gardening thread, but does anyone in here know of any plant that is suitable for indoors display?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yeah that's not gonna happen [emoji23]
    Then don't worry about the bumps.

You will be lucky if there is any grass there come beginning of October.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Yeah that's not gonna happen [emoji23]

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Hoping the kids running around might do the trick
    Not for a few months until it's nicely established though

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Hoping the kids running around might do the trick

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Just over a week and it's growing very nicely! The soil is a bit bumpy but at least there is some grass, quite impressed with my efforts
    You are going to have fun trying to make it flat.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    I did try and rake over the seeds - not how well I did. It's wet down here London so hopefully that will help but worried there is little sun.

I ended up 1.5 boxes of seeds and 2 different types so hoping that atleast one of them comes through

Leave a comment:

• BoggyMcCBoggyFace
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Nice stripes
    Thanks , it looks nice but it is an effort and so time consuming as I also have front lawn as well, but it gives me an excuse to get out the house lol

Agreed SueE on the seeds, the seeds I am using this year are from the same supplier as last and the same flavour, but even with a lot of watering the results haven't been great and I did think the seeds were to blame partly.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
    This year we just have not had the rain we needed in April or early May though its a bit better now, as others have said you can't just bung the seed on the soil, I get best results but digging over the soil, putting the seed down and racking over so seeds covered. If a smaller area I might just buy top soil and bung that on the top or turf, if a larger areas as I have been doing I bought a rotavator from Argos £59 Qualcast one, best £59 I've spent it just turns the soil so quickly saves so much time, I then seed and put a pre-seed fertilizer down and rake over. I've got good results most of the lawn in front section to the left is reseeded last year you can just see the change in color, the far end was completely re-seeded from scratch last year
    Nice stripes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X