• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gardening tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year we just have not had the rain we needed in April or early May though its a bit better now, as others have said you can't just bung the seed on the soil, I get best results but digging over the soil, putting the seed down and racking over so seeds covered. If a smaller area I might just buy top soil and bung that on the top or turf, if a larger areas as I have been doing I bought a rotavator from Argos £59 Qualcast one, best £59 I've spent it just turns the soil so quickly saves so much time, I then seed and put a pre-seed fertilizer down and rake over. I've got good results most of the lawn in front section to the left is reseeded last year you can just see the change in color, the far end was completely re-seeded from scratch last year
    Last edited by BoggyMcCBoggyFace; 17 May 2017, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
      This year we just have not had the rain we needed in April or early May though its a bit better now
      This is the important bit. If the soil is too dry or too cold then you will have difficultly getting the seed to germinate, and that is presuming the seed is viable anyway.
      Lots of seed sold in shops is sh*t.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
        This year we just have not had the rain we needed in April or early May though its a bit better now, as others have said you can't just bung the seed on the soil, I get best results but digging over the soil, putting the seed down and racking over so seeds covered. If a smaller area I might just buy top soil and bung that on the top or turf, if a larger areas as I have been doing I bought a rotavator from Argos £59 Qualcast one, best £59 I've spent it just turns the soil so quickly saves so much time, I then seed and put a pre-seed fertilizer down and rake over. I've got good results most of the lawn in front section to the left is reseeded last year you can just see the change in color, the far end was completely re-seeded from scratch last year
        Nice stripes

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          Nice stripes
          Thanks , it looks nice but it is an effort and so time consuming as I also have front lawn as well, but it gives me an excuse to get out the house lol

Agreed SueE on the seeds, the seeds I am using this year are from the same supplier as last and the same flavour, but even with a lot of watering the results haven't been great and I did think the seeds were to blame partly.

Comment

I did try and rake over the seeds - not how well I did. It's wet down here London so hopefully that will help but worried there is little sun.

I ended up 1.5 boxes of seeds and 2 different types so hoping that atleast one of them comes through

Comment

Just over a week and it's growing very nicely! The soil is a bit bumpy but at least there is some grass, quite impressed with my efforts

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                Just over a week and it's growing very nicely! The soil is a bit bumpy but at least there is some grass, quite impressed with my efforts
                You are going to have fun trying to make it flat.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hoping the kids running around might do the trick

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                    Hoping the kids running around might do the trick
                    Not for a few months until it's nicely established though

Comment

Yeah that's not gonna happen [emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                      X