• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear: This is going to be interesting vat on private school fees"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    Correct. They do not operate for profit rather for the betterment of society. Fees come out of after tax income.
    The school might be non-profit but that doesn't necessarily mean people aren't making serious money from it.

I hadn't realised most private schools were registered charities though. I'm sure it's easy for a government to circumvent that obstacle if it wanted to.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Criminals cook for each other and most are learning their bulk catering skills.

Hospital food varies. Some patients get microwaved meals or sandwiches of a reasonable standard.
    If you live in the right part of the country, the trick with hospital meals is to ask for the Asian vegetarian menu. I worked in a hospital where word got round , so the hospital tried to restrict the menu to patients with a recorded ethnicity of Asian, but as ethnicity is defined by the patient, white patients started stating their ethnicity as Asian, so the hospital opened up the meals to everyone.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Hungry kids are being let down by their parent(s).

The scum dross who choose stella over fresh fruit, and quarter of an ounce of skunk over books and reading to their kids are the problem.
    You can get children's books from the local library for free. They are in fact one of the age groups who use libraries most as libraries have special events for them.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Oh Dear: This is going to be interesting vat on private school fees

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    The reason why you have poverty in this country is because the education system totally sucks. by only paying attention to the poorly performing pupils and not to the bright ones parents are forced to send their children to private and grammar schools. Many other countries do not have a private sector at all and are outperforming the Uk in education on all levels, basically because there are different streams of education for poor medium and high performing pupils, not forcing the same GCSE's on everybody
    Hungry kids are being let down by their parent(s).

The scum dross who choose stella over fresh fruit, and quarter of an ounce of skunk over books and reading to their kids are the problem.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    On a par with hospital?
    Criminals cook for each other and most are learning their bulk catering skills.

Hospital food varies. Some patients get microwaved meals or sandwiches of a reasonable standard.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    You could give up contracting and pay more tax, I'm sure that would help too.
    I'm sure FA always declares himself inside IR35

Leave a comment:

• ruasonid
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I agree, impose VAT on private school fees and maybe even increase VAT to 25%. I find it deplorable that there are rich IT contractors on here who probably binge on champagne every weekend who do not want to dip into their pocket to enable a poor kid to have a proper meal. I cannot wait for Corbyn to get into power so we can see the poor souls stuck on the bottom rung get a leg up. The Tories need to be bullied out of power for the next decade or so.
    You could give up contracting and pay more tax, I'm sure that would help too.

Leave a comment:

• ruasonid
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Most private schools are 'charities' and charities are VAT exempt.
    Correct. They do not operate for profit rather for the betterment of society. Fees come out of after tax income.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Criminals food is disgusting.
    On a par with hospital?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    In a way it's a bit strange that the state gives parents free child care, by force, but doesn't feed the children whilst they're there. Criminals get free meals in prison but school kids have to pay.
    Criminals food is disgusting.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    And free school meals doesn't cost much really, especially if you remove the red tape of figuring out who gets them.
    In a way it's a bit strange that the state gives parents free child care, by force, but doesn't feed the children whilst they're there. Criminals get free meals in prison but school kids have to pay.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I wonder if there are newer members who don't realise FA is trolling and genuinely think he's a massive leftie

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I wonder if there are newer members who don't realise FA is trolling and genuinely think he's a massive leftie

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I agree with both points... I don't have strong feelings on either but I am rather surprised there isn't VAT on school fees as it is definitely a luxury item.

And free school meals doesn't cost much really, especially if you remove the red tape of figuring out who gets them. I had thought they'd partially reintroduced this anyway to be honest but maybe not? The wife's school is in a deprived area so it might be they all qualify, or maybe the littluns get it not the older ones?

I agree, impose VAT on private school fees and maybe even increase VAT to 25%. I find it deplorable that there are rich IT contractors on here who probably binge on champagne every weekend who do not want to dip into their pocket to enable a poor kid to have a proper meal. I cannot wait for Corbyn to get into power so we can see the poor souls stuck on the bottom rung get a leg up. The Tories need to be bullied out of power for the next decade or so.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Why isn't there VAT on school fees anyway?

Free school meals for all doesn't sound like a terrible policy. In fact I'm sure the LibDems came out with that one a couple of years ago.
    I agree with both points... I don't have strong feelings on either but I am rather surprised there isn't VAT on school fees as it is definitely a luxury item.

And free school meals doesn't cost much really, especially if you remove the red tape of figuring out who gets them. I had thought they'd partially reintroduced this anyway to be honest but maybe not? The wife's school is in a deprived area so it might be they all qualify, or maybe the littluns get it not the older ones?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X