• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client asked if googled during test..."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    interestingly

(You're as bad as Gricer! )
    You mean it Gricer!!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I did an online interactive test and tried copying and pasting an answer to one of the questions. Alarm bells start ringing, lights started flashing -I'd been well and truly flagged as a cheat.

Innerestingly, I still got the gig though.
    interestingly

(You're as bad as Gricer! )

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you lot are so glass half empty

maybe he got the answers wrong and the Client want to understand why he didn't double check with google

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    If an employer/client has an issue with me not retrieving info in 1 miilsecond from my head and instead spending 10 secs to google it then I'll work somewhere else thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    I did an online interactive test and tried copying and pasting an answer to one of the questions. Alarm bells start ringing, lights started flashing -I'd been well and truly flagged as a cheat.

Innerestingly, I still got the gig though.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    BTW finally during F2F interview question raised was 'Why you didn't use references efficiently for section x though you had oppertunity to do so..??"
    Because google did not recommend it?

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    BTW finally during F2F interview question raised was 'Why you didn't use references efficiently for section x though you had oppertunity to do so..??"

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe the 'friend' did so badly they were wondering how, and conjecturing he didn't use Google.
    yes you would think SAS could use google a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe the 'friend' did so badly they were wondering how, and conjecturing he didn't use Google.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    "Of course I did, I'm not stupid".
    This. It's like asking if I ******* used the keyboard. No, I used a quill.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I'd be inclined to say no, I didn't use google. That's because I already have proven go-to resources online that have served me well for the few things that I don't always remember. But I don't need to remember them because I know where to find them.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    One of my friends recently done an online test and now the client came back and asked couple of questions...Not sure how the online time bound test went as no results given after the test...

How tests went?
    If results could have better if prepared differently..?
    Had access to internet/Google and unix command line during test..??

What's client trying to do here with these questions..?? What kind of response expected..??
    I don't see any problem.
    The important thing here is if he is able to search what he needs to find the solution.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Some of the people I network with write some of the languages and tools I use. If they give a talk then I do a test within a couple of weeks of their talk then I'm going to do very well on the questions that their talk covers. So the client can incorrectly presume I Googled the answers to the hard questions when in reality it's a different case.

Anyway this is one reason I think tests like that are a waste of time. You are better of checking if the people you are hiring have problem solving abilities.
    Looks like these guys are bit different. My friend replied saying as advised in the beginning of test, he used some online reference. Now the client is asking if he used reference to a particular section of test!!!

Looks like he need to tell them off!!!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    The fact that you did so well.

If it's something like an IKM test, some of the questions are extremely hard. Getting 99% on a C# test is only possible if you use materials. Each question has 25 permutations in their answers, so the chances of getting 5 of those hard ones right using educated guessing is extremely low.

Wouldn't be surprised if the report back to the vendor contained comments like "The pattern of answers is indicative of using source materials"
    In the IKM test I did time was a factor, you wouldn't have time to look the questions up to get a really good score.
    The test got progressively harder and moved from report building, metadata build, security, server build.

I believe I got 98%, either 1st or 2nd highest score ever at the time.
    You would hope this would be a given, especially after working with the technology for 20 years.

I then used the test on potential candidates myself, it was very useful in assessing what they knew about.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    The fact that you did so well.

If it's something like an IKM test, some of the questions are extremely hard. Getting 99% on a C# test is only possible if you use materials. Each question has 25 permutations in their answers, so the chances of getting 5 of those hard ones right using educated guessing is extremely low.

Wouldn't be surprised if the report back to the vendor contained comments like "The pattern of answers is indicative of using source materials"
    Also some tests clearly mention in the beginning of test that to simulate work environment, they expect reference materials to be used during the test!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X