• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Goody they put their most reasonable negotiator on it"

Collapse

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You mean Peugeots?
    Anyone old enough to remember when Vauxhall was British?
    That I remember, but I'm not old enough to remember the last time Margate has seen a lick of paint. I went there last year for one afternoon. Pretty grim.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Come to think of it - I was a student in UK who got offered a job, so I stayed on...
    Rivers of blood.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Come to think of it - I was a student in UK who got offered a job, so I stayed on...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Great. That means being well off will mean something again.
    The chavs will holiday in Margate again, drive small Vauxhalls and live in cold draughty prefabs they cant afford to heat.

You mean Peugeots?
    Anyone old enough to remember when Vauxhall was British?

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No ID cards in the UK I'm afraid. Blair's ham-fisted efforts put pay to that.

Actually all the government needs to do is make it a law that everyone walks around with ID. A few carefully planted stories would do it.
    It's already in place, no?

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    What, like put them in a camp or make them wear a badge or something? There is one way, get everybody to register like this: https://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-police/overview and ID cards, sorted
    No ID cards in the UK I'm afraid. Blair's ham-fisted efforts put pay to that.

Actually all the government needs to do is make it a law that everyone walks around with ID. A few carefully planted stories would do it.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I suggest you go to your Embassy and demand they unilaterally extended rights to any British people in your home country to start the ball rolling. Oh Sorry its all the UK's fault isn't it?

We tried but the EU refused to talk about it.
    Yes, it is. He who pulls the trigger get the blame. What is happening right now is the predictable effect of trying to limit uncertainty by ignoring British suppliers of goods and services.

Maybe you didn't try hard enough before the referendum? Where was that famous British diplomacy? Or did the EU prove to be too hard to deal with? I think the British politicians wanted to leave the EU a long time ago and the EU referendum pleased both major political parties.

The UK government has allowed (some say encouraged) the debate about the EU referendum to focus on immigration from Eastern Europe. That was preceded by years of hate and ridicule directed towards Easter Europeans. It was tolerated by British politicians, because Eastern Europeans are generally regarded as the chavs of Europe. What some forget is that they are European citizens just like Germans or French. And if the politicians here want to get rid of them so much that they are willing to leave the EU that also upsets the lives of "proper" Europeans and they get a bit pissed both here and back home. The knock-on effect is damage control.

European businesses do not have to advertise for certain jobs in the UK and when they do have such obligation they may reasonably require proof of proficiency in the local language. The EU nationals in the UK are more or less bi-ligual and can find work back home without having to prove their knowledge of the language whereas Brits don't typically hold certificates of proficiency in languages other than English. Come 29 March Brits are going to begin to find themselves unemployable long-term in Europe unless Britain guarantees certain rights of EU citizens. And that doesn't seem likely as long as people like Farage, Banks, and Hopkins continue to have the ears of the British politicians.

Brexit is really going to hurt Brits more than the EU nationals. Not that those who have voted for Leave care, because they have no chance of getting a job in the UK anyway. But they do have the right to vote and they used it to **** up the lives of those who benefited from the EU membership most.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet...Do you start work on a new contract before signing it?
    well I don't start moaning about being mistreated by your client when its mine doing the mistreating.

YMMV

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I suggest you go to your Embassy and demand they unilaterally extended rights to any British people in your home country to start the ball rolling. Oh Sorry its all the UK's fault isn't it?

Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet...Do you start work on a new contract before signing it?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    as the majority seem to stay it makes more sense to count them.

They are immigrants they should go in the figures. So long as we police them well people will believe they are leaving. but for decades they came as students, significant numbers worked illegally and over stayed.
    What, like put them in a camp or make them wear a badge or something? There is one way, get everybody to register like this: https://www.gov.uk/register-with-the-police/overview and ID cards, sorted

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    Yes, you can. I am being told that my stay here cannot be guaranteed unless certain conditions are met. That may or may not happen and I cannot plan my future here, because I don't know if I will be able to get a mortgage, keep the property I have here, etc. Why should Brits be treated any way different by other EU countries?

Think about Brexit as a divorce. Do you continue to have sex when you tell your wife you want to divorce her? Nope. You're still married and legally you are treated as a couple, but you are not doing a lot of things together anymore.

I'm sure existing deals will be honoured, but any future deals and planning will for now not involve British partners, because of the uncertainty of their future legal status.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Do keep up at the back.
    as the majority seem to stay it makes more sense to count them.

They are immigrants they should go in the figures. So long as we police them well people will believe they are leaving. but for decades they came as students, significant numbers worked illegally and over stayed.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed why are we beggars? is it us with our bowl out asking for dollar for leaving the club?

Wow - maybe black people will potentially rob more based on stats from prison so best not give them a job then.

You cannot make a decision based on maybe something in the future could happen especially when it is clearly discriminatory.
    Yes, you can. I am being told that my stay here cannot be guaranteed unless certain conditions are met. That may or may not happen and I cannot plan my future here, because I don't know if I will be able to get a mortgage, keep the property I have here, etc. Why should Brits be treated any way different by other EU countries?

Think about Brexit as a divorce. Do you continue to have sex when you tell your wife you want to divorce her? Nope. You're still married and legally you are treated as a couple, but you are not doing a lot of things together anymore.

I'm sure existing deals will be honoured, but any future deals and planning will for now not involve British partners, because of the uncertainty of their future legal status.
    Last edited by squarepeg; 24 March 2017, 17:07.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    FFS never understood why students should be part of the immigration numbers - in fact they're the largest part AFAIK.
    Some will stay post-graduation, count them then (and most will be higher rate teaxpayers, a net gain to the country) - the majority will leave.
    well if you notice the middle story 93,000 students stayed on. Seems sensible to manage them as immigrants.

do keep up.
    Do keep up at the back.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Yeah but the solution is the relatively simple one of closing down bogus colleges and/or only issuing student visas for respected insititions (both quite easy to implement) , not counting students as immigrants.

Yet again the ineptness of the country shows itself, nothing to do with the EU, this particular stupidity
    well if you notice the middle story 93,000 students stayed on. Seems sensible to manage them as immigrants.

do keep up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X