• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Saint Martin of McGuinness RIP"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    A united Ireland was and still is the ultimate aim. To this ends the IRA have failed. There is now 'equality' in Northern Ireland, and has been for a generation. Now I'm not daft enough to ever think you'll ever change your opinion. However, I know that people's opinions on this normally are based on the fact either they and/or their parents 'belong' to one side or the other. Is it fair to presume that your parents lived 'in the North' as it would be put?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    A united Ireland was and still is the ultimate aim. To this ends the IRA have failed. There is now 'equality' in Northern Ireland, and has been for a generation. Now I'm not daft enough to ever think you'll ever change your opinion. However, I know that people's opinions on this normally are based on the fact either they and/or their parents 'belong' to one side or the other. Is it fair to presume that your parents lived 'in the North' as it would be put?
    The ability to choose was the aim, as given in the Good Friday agreement.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    If the PIRA really wanted a united Ireland they would still be bombing the mainland. Electoral representation and some measure of equality were the main drivers of the conflict.

People seem to ignore the reasons why the PIRA existed, majorities of populations were denied emancipation through political system rigged on sectarian grounds and when they complained an army ( from what was thought if as a foreign power ) was used to keep the status quo . Chucking about vacuous statements like "There has certainly been progress in civil rights" does nothing to address how tulip it was for people and how tulip it was that they were not given the capability to change how it worked.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    That wouldn't explain why people were so angry about the IRA in the 80s.

As for success, I see no sign of a United Ireland. There has certainly been progress in civil rights and I don't know whether that could be have been achieved without the terrorist campaign.
    If the PIRA really wanted a united Ireland they would still be bombing the mainland. Electoral representation and some measure of equality were the main drivers of the conflict.

People seem to ignore the reasons why the PIRA existed, majorities of populations were denied emancipation through political system rigged on sectarian grounds and when they complained an army ( from what was thought if as a foreign power ) was used to keep the status quo . Chucking about vacuous statements like "There has certainly been progress in civil rights" does nothing to address how tulip it was for people and how tulip it was that they were not given the capability to change how it worked.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I think what angers most people about the IRA is that they were ultimately successful, the people at the service confirm that.
    That wouldn't explain why people were so angry about the IRA in the 80s.

As for success, I see no sign of a United Ireland. There has certainly been progress in civil rights and I don't know whether that could be have been achieved without the terrorist campaign.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They were so successful that splinter groups came into existence and decided to bomb places like Ealing.
    The PIRA was a splinter group.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I think what angers most people about the IRA is that they were ultimately successful, the people at the service confirm that.
    They were so successful that splinter groups came into existence and decided to bomb places like Ealing.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    say what?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I don't see it that way.

McCartney was knighted, he was singing about an MP who died for his beliefs.

Is that not distilled Britisheness?
    An MP whose party would not stand up for a woman's right to have an abortion for fear of upsetting their religiously conservative heartland. I guess there is a certain British style hypocrisy to that.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Minestrone, is Khaild Masood a hero in your eyes for killing a British policeman?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    This is all disappointingly dull and predictable.
    I don't see it that way.

McCartney was knighted, he was singing about an MP who died for his beliefs.

Is that not distilled Britisheness?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    This is all disappointingly dull and predictable.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Before or after Gerry told people to "vote early vote often"?
    In a government that was..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Prot...testant_People

Leave a comment:

Working...
X