• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ian McEwan

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ian McEwan"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So basically, you're saying that I'm not a genius. Bastard.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    and I did taking your kind contribution in. As pointed out in my post the EU likes referendums as well & McEwan is therefore wrong. I replied to you but as I suggested can any of you geniuses (Ass, NYUK Scoot etc) explain why so I wasn't disagreeing with you but rather the other bremainers..
    So basically, you're saying that I'm not a genius. Bastard.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    not much plot and all about sexual repression.
    Get enough of that at home.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Give the man a chance ....
    not much plot and all about sexual repression.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Not enough pop-up teddy bears.
    Give the man a chance ....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    In what way?
    Not enough pop-up teddy bears.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    bit too Harold Pinter for my liking.
    In what way?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Ignorance is bliss, eh? Oh well, your loss. "Atonement" is one of the best novels ever, IMO.
    bit too Harold Pinter for my liking.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Never heard of him. He must be one of those Booker Prize type authors who write big door stopper novels that the cognoscenti rave about but normal people rarely bother reading.
    Ignorance is bliss, eh? Oh well, your loss. "Atonement" is one of the best novels ever, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    A novelist, playwright and screenwriter, whose work I have never read, and I've never seen any film or TV adaptations of his work. Nor have I any particular wish to.
    Never heard of him. He must be one of those Booker Prize type authors who write big door stopper novels that the cognoscenti rave about but normal people rarely bother reading.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    so he realised he was an ass and is back pedalling...

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Translation error apparently.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I suggested to GB9 that, instead of brainfarting, he apply what little intelligence and analytic skills he has, to rebut McEwan's argument. I even said it's not difficult. But when he failed at even that small task and none of you Brexiteers leapt in to help, I gave you a rebuttal.

Is that clear enough for you now? My mention of Switzerland was to demonstrate that McEwan is wrong.

I supported remaining in the EU. I think Ian McEwan is talking bollox. These are not two mutually exclusive statements.
    and I did taking your kind contribution in. As pointed out in my post the EU likes referendums as well & McEwan is therefore wrong. I replied to you but as I suggested can any of you geniuses (Ass, NYUK Scoot etc) explain why so I wasn't disagreeing with you but rather the other bremainers.

My reply to you was about my alleged "non sequitur" McEwan compared the Brexit vote to the rise of the Nazi party famous for trying to annex & rule Europe. I suggested that EU was probably the organisation with closer intentions rather than UKIP or even the UK. So it is logical and follows directly from McEwan's point.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    A novelist, playwright and screenwriter, whose work I have never read, and I've never seen any film or TV adaptations of his work. Nor have I any particular wish to.
    A shame. You're missing some cracking novels.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Who is Ian McEwan again? Is he some footballer?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X