• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Corner cutting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Corner cutting"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Just cut off the bits you don't know. Simples.

Most SQL Server job ads want full stack - SSMS, SSIS, SSRS and SSAS these days.
    yep.

Just make sure something uses each part, even if its internal. SSRS reports on data loading etc.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    I agree, Hardly a job ad that wants a SQL Server DBA unless they can also do Oracle/MongoDB/MySQL or are also developers. Experts will admit they don't even know all aspects of SQL Server.
    Just cut off the bits you don't know. Simples.

Most SQL Server job ads want full stack - SSMS, SSIS, SSRS and SSAS these days.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    A lot of the top boys have retired. It takes a lot less skill and commitment to get involved now (and has for the last ten years). Therefore the average skill level is lower than it was 20 years ago. Add into that the throwaway culture of "get it done and rebuild it in a few years", and universities are seeing less and less IT bright undergrad intakes due to FUD about offshoring. "Agile" practices have led us into amateur hour.

Squeeze the last bit of milk out of this old cow while you can get your grubby hands on her withered teet. Because for sure, the axe man is sharpening his tool.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    I agree, Hardly a job ad that wants a SQL Server DBA unless they can also do Oracle/MongoDB/MySQL or are also developers. Experts will admit they don't even know all aspects of SQL Server.
    Its big!

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    How much money is lost by businesses each year employing Suity?

Sorry mate. . I hope you are well? Spurs are doing well.....
    The CBI now has a suity levy, which funds a shell company to contract with suity to develop a BPM tool, to keep him out of mischief.

The Department for Exiting the European Union has recently tasked MI6 with developing an options paper examining opportunities to contract this shell company with EU governance bodies.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    he does have a point Businesses either over tools up with 20 year old experts with fancy names or assumes a developer is able to do every discipline despite the obvious evidence of systems crashing everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    How much money is lost by businesses each year employing Suity?

Sorry mate. . I hope you are well? Spurs are doing well.....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Just musing, but I see a lot of systems with cut corners. Not just cut but sometimes severed

Take for example, data modellers. When was the last time you worked with one? Most systems nowadays are designed and built by the proverbial "developer". A catch all for bits of requirements gathering, coding, data modelling, testing etc. Unless you're fortunate enough to work on a project with deep pockets that can have skilled experts in each of these disciplines.

How much money is lost by businesses each year to this kind of technical debt built up by all this corner cutting? When did this entropy set in?

You can have all the flash harry agile standups, continuous integration, sprints, user stories you like but unless you pay for your talent, and respect that the old timers that have just done nothing but software architecture for the past 30 years know their onions and are worth paying for. But unless you're a software architect that can code as well, and do a bit of testing then you're on the bench. Some of these job specs are longer than your arm and quite laughable.

So IT is an overhead, cut corners, dumb down, lower the barrier to entry. Are we heading into the abyss? When is the big one, like a bank or a stock exchange going to go nipples up because of this?
    Oh, suity, what have you done?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Get the experts in, might not be cheap but you can rest assured there will be no system actually built to worry about

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Like everything else involving scissors, Suity needs to ask a grown up to cut corners for him.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I thought this was a thread about Suity's new gig.
    The first line reads like his trail of destruction bloody cv, I'll grant you that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I thought this was a thread about Suity's new gig.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Just musing, but I see a lot of systems with cut corners. Not just cut but sometimes severed

Take for example, data modellers. When was the last time you worked with one? Most systems nowadays are designed and built by the proverbial "developer". A catch all for bits of requirements gathering, coding, data modelling, testing etc. Unless you're fortunate enough to work on a project with deep pockets that can have skilled experts in each of these disciplines.

How much money is lost by businesses each year to this kind of technical debt built up by all this corner cutting? When did this entropy set in?

You can have all the flash harry agile standups, continuous integration, sprints, user stories you like but unless you pay for your talent, and respect that the old timers that have just done nothing but software architecture for the past 30 years know their onions and are worth paying for. But unless you're a software architect that can code as well, and do a bit of testing then you're on the bench. Some of these job specs are longer than your arm and quite laughable.

So IT is an overhead, cut corners, dumb down, lower the barrier to entry. Are we heading into the abyss? When is the big one, like a bank or a stock exchange going to go nipples up because of this?
    Unlikely to happen because of IT; if it gets close, they'll through some of the money that they've saved at the problem. Better to spend £3m of the £10m now and throw another £3m at it later if it needs it. Unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X