• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The pocket computer is back!"

Collapse

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    ^ this ^

By the way Apple Music now works for android devices, so no need to switch
    TBH I am happy with Spotify, all of my kit is Apple but I don't agree with one company trying to monopolise the tech space. Diversity is good for business and that's why I prefer Spotify and other non Apple cloud based services so I'm not tied in. I have last years MBP but when I next upgrade it probably won't be a MacBook unless they stop taking the p!ss with their pricing!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I spent last night convincing myself that I didn't need one and now rereading this I think a may need one.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    5 years ago this would have applied to me but what with streaming services now I don't use iTunes for any media storage and consumption. Its all Spotify, iPlayer, Netflix now. And something like this wouldn't replace your Apple Kit but would be a nice little computer (for a couple of hundred notes?) running Linux as a complementary device.
    And I'm beginning to make that move now...

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    5 years ago this would have applied to me but what with streaming services now I don't use iTunes for any media storage and consumption. Its all Spotify, iPlayer, Netflix now. And something like this wouldn't replace your Apple Kit but would be a nice little computer (for a couple of hundred notes?) running Linux as a complementary device.

^ this ^

By the way Apple Music now works for android devices, so no need to switch

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    It depends, the robustness of the Apple Ecosytem is being heavily challenged by disruptors such as Spotify and other cross platform subscription services.
    Great Minds! I was typing my reply when you were along the same vein

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    It may be very, very good, but Apple have had a 10 year head start and once you're tied in to the Ipads and Iphones etc, it's very hard to switch (for example, have you ever tried moving Itunes purchases onto a different platform? Don't bother trying, it's technically possible, but life's too short). Timing is everything, and I reckon Psion are far too late to the party on this one.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    It may be very, very good, but Apple have had a 10 year head start and once you're tied in to the Ipads and Iphones etc, it's very hard to switch (for example, have you ever tried moving Itunes purchases onto a different platform? Don't bother trying, it's technically possible, but life's too short). Timing is everything, and I reckon Psion are far too late to the party on this one.
    It depends, the robustness of the Apple Ecosytem is being heavily challenged by disruptors such as Spotify and other cross platform subscription services.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    This has the potential to be very, very good.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Want!

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    This has the potential to be very, very good.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I doubt Apple are crapping themselves at the news...
    They should be...

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Excellent... if it comes to fruition then finally a possible replacement for my aging N97 Mini

Been wanting a replacement mobi with a proper keyboard for ages.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    I doubt Apple are crapping themselves at the news...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    The pocket computer is back!

It's a Psion!

Oh wow! Psion Series 3 - my first geeky crush (could never afford it at the time though...)

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic The pocket computer is back!

The pocket computer is back!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...k_meet_gemini/

Working...
X