• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Music in the office"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    last place I worked at had a resident DJ
    You were working at the Ministry of Sound HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Is he the American First Nation? Or the cowboy?

I'm not sure what you mean by that babe, but im perma tanned up because I live on the med. So I'm probably like the feathered chap babe.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    And a picture of Fronttoback out on the town with his colleagues emerges, love the headdress

Is he the American First Nation? Or the cowboy?

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Siliconix used to have music playing over the tannoy when I started there.

Even now, all these years later, hearing "Walking on the Moon" creates an uncontrollable urge to kill.

Happily that stopped and individual earphone were provided for those who wished to listen.

However, coding on a HP200 system in the QA lab was a bit trying with a ghetto blaster playing on the opposite bench.

Neither of which compared to the joy of listening to Mr Awkward's favourite Talk radio station in Cwmbran whilst writing endless 6303 assembler.

After the nth play of the 3 little piggies advert on said channel, I was almost uncontrollably homicidal.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Well done on alienating yourself from the rest of the office so soon!

What you should have done is organise an office outing to an 80s club one Friday.

You just can't teach this stuff, you just can't,...
    And a picture of Fronttoback out on the town with his colleagues emerges, love the headdress

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Well done on alienating yourself from the rest of the office so soon!

What you should have done is organise an office outing to an 80s club one Friday.

You just can't teach this stuff, you just can't,...

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Oh dear....

Nice photoshop. And you even got the make of plane the same as mine (a "Jabiru")
    #attentionToDetail

That crash was a funny one. Nobody injured as they tried to take off from a beach:

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    This might well result in a shorter contract than it would otherwise be, but at least I tried to persuade them.
    Oh dear....

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Going out on a limb here, but I guess you were hanging out with the Marxist crowd at uni while smoking pot. Fair play to you.
    Look, he's got his own plane, he's not scrabbling around for airmiles.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    No, a regular IT job, not a call centre.
    You have a good point, and I did notice. It is not very diplomatic to call someone "just" a anything if you want to foster a good relationship with them. But I am the bigger man, so let it pass.

I wouldn't go as far as say "should".
    According to a strict capitalist principle you could argue that their mistake in having this music is something that should be punished in the open market. But in fixing (or trying to fix) this problem I am arguably providing an additional service to them, which will (might) be rewarded through more respect/money/contract duration etc in the future.

And there is an opportunity cost of walking out of a contract, with a minimum of a couple of weeks out of contract, and likely more.
    Going out on a limb here, but I guess you were hanging out with the Marxist crowd at uni while smoking pot. Fair play to you.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Do you work in a call centre?

If someone said 'You're just a contractor' to me I'll tell them to **** off.
    No, a regular IT job, not a call centre.
    You have a good point, and I did notice. It is not very diplomatic to call someone "just" a anything if you want to foster a good relationship with them. But I am the bigger man, so let it pass.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Jeez. So many people on here don't really understand this contracting lark, do they? You're there to bill not to moan about or influence company policy.
    If you couldn't stand it you should have walked out, otherwise leave well enough alone
    I wouldn't go as far as say "should".
    According to a strict capitalist principle you could argue that their mistake in having this music is something that should be punished in the open market. But in fixing (or trying to fix) this problem I am arguably providing an additional service to them, which will (might) be rewarded through more respect/money/contract duration etc in the future.

And there is an opportunity cost of walking out of a contract, with a minimum of a couple of weeks out of contract, and likely more.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Jeez. So many people on here don't really understand this contracting lark, do they? You're there to bill not to moan about or influence company policy.
    If you couldn't stand it you should have walked out, otherwise leave well enough alone

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I agree mostly with this if you want to listen to your tunes use headphones

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    An update today,

This morning I spoke directly to the head of the team who are most keen on having music, presenting them with some quotes from web pages output by a Google on the subject. Some positive, some negative.
    In summary some people react well to working around music, others poorly. I am definitely in the latter category.

Anyway I must have had an impact, because the music stopped, and call me paranoid I got the impression people were talking about me behind my back. I definitely heard someone say "who's GJABS?"

Later in the afternoon the boss called me into a private meeting, where he gave me a right telling off for discussing the issue with other people without going through him first. As he had requested yesterday.
    He said "You're just a contractor - you don't have the right to interfere in company procedures".
    But all I did was discuss the issue - I didn't tell them what to do, only what effect it would have on my productivity, and that probably of several others.
    The truth of the matter is that I didn't think he would present the case assertively enough if just left to him - his "solution" being to have me work from home a lot, which is not ideal.

Anyway the boss said that they were going to carry on playing the music.

This might well result in a shorter contract than it would otherwise be, but at least I tried to persuade them.
    Do you work in a call centre?

If someone said 'You're just a contractor' to me I'll tell them to **** off.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    But at least I'm no longer a nobody

Who knows what will happen. It will be discussed in a management meeting next week.

The other thing I had said to them is that I have worked in around 50 offices over the past 20 years, and not one of them had played music. And that if playing music was found to be overall beneficial to worker productivity I think a few of them would have caught on by now.
    So a popular worker then?

It seems to be in Spearmint Rhino's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X