• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gorwing your own

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gorwing your own"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I had to clear a 6 foot by 10 foot patch of mint.

It was not fun.

The strawberries are somewhat easier but still a bit of a pain.
    For the strawberries, what's your drainage like? Aerating the lawn can help, or you can spray them with vinegar.

If you want to be a bit more drastic, get a petrol scarifier, that will get rid of most things from the lawn, then aerate, then put down a weed control fertiliser, then re-seed the bare patches.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You missed the "wild" reference, that damn things take over the entire garden if you don't kill enough of them.

I think they'll get the agent orange treatment when it warms up a bit.
    I think you should put mint in the ground without planting it in a pot first.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    I'd have a dabble every year. As pointed out, you may as well grow things that are a bit more expensive or taste better from your garden. I normally have success with peas, french and green beans. Space is a bit limited so these are normally grown in raised beds. The kids seem to enjoy it and so long as you can take the failures - there always seems to be a certain level - then it's good fun.

Oh and I've got a nice chilli plant in doors randomly grown from seeds of one I used in cooking. It's done okay for itself despite minimal looking after and has a certain asthenic quality with its red and green fruit.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Strawberries -just weed and replace the stock every 3-4 years, cheap and delicious. Did potatoes once, but they are so cheap to buy, Asparagus if you're patient, onion and leek. Wouldn't be without fresh herbs. Tomatoes and chillies in greenhouse. But now moving to a retirement flat with no garden.

You're going to lose money, once you factor in your time, and crops lost to mice, slugs, snails, birds and squirrels, compared to buying at your local produce market, but there is joy in eating something you've produced yourself, freshly-picked, no food miles ... my argument is that I enjoy growing and gardening anyway so there is no marginal cost in growing Veg.
    You don't lose money if you grow herbs especially if you choose the right ones e.g. perennial ones rather than annual.

Rosemary and thyme grow like weeds if you put them in the right spot.

Mint can be a bloody weed if you don't keep it in a pot.

Lavender is a hassle as you have to chop the flowers of every year.

Then there are edible flowers...

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Strawberries -just weed and replace the stock every 3-4 years, cheap and delicious. Did potatoes once, but they are so cheap to buy, Asparagus if you're patient, onion and leek. Wouldn't be without fresh herbs. Tomatoes and chillies in greenhouse. But now moving to a retirement flat with no garden.

You're going to lose money, once you factor in your time, and crops lost to mice, slugs, snails, birds and squirrels, compared to buying at your local produce market, but there is joy in eating something you've produced yourself, freshly-picked, no food miles ... my argument is that I enjoy growing and gardening anyway so there is no marginal cost in growing Veg.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It took you an hour to notice!

I refused to fall for NLyUK bait...
    I am hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I am just not cut out for grow your own, I have tried – but I even managed to kill the mint!

So the garden got dug out, replaced with 150mm hardcore sub base, 50mm blinding, geo-grid, 200mm of lean mix & paved.

Much lower maintenance & BGG can get out & about in the area now – he has considered the idea of getting veg trugs that he can access from a wheel chair, but I will not be involved.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Goodness me.

A remarkable number of those plants are poisonous, as are the spud "tomatoes" that you get once the spuds have flowered.

Should "we" be careful?
    It took you an hour to notice!

I refused to fall for NLyUK bait...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    4 apple trees, 3 pear trees, 1 plum tree, 3 grape vines, garlic, celery, carrots, parsnips, fennel, raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, french beans, broad beans, sugar snaps, radish, onions, courgettes, cucumbers, aubergines, broccoli, red currants, black currants, spinach, rosemary, thyme, mint, chives, sage, bay, artemesia, nasturtium, basil, parsley, coriander, lemons, limes,
    ...I'm sure I'm missing out something.

Oh, and 5 chickens.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    The old man grows spuds, but it makes for an unattractive garden, so I mix up his area with foxgloves, rhododendron, lily-of-the-valley, hydrangea, poet's narcissus and larkspur.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    yo Paddy,

I am modestly starting with 50m2

Chateau Paddy sounds amazing, are you able to consume each season's wine before the next :-)

Where is it, Tuscany or ?

Milan.
    Not Tuscany as it’s rather expensive there. However, the actual village is really great location. We have some other IT contractors there “working from home” along with a Canadian and a Russian. If you are interested in the location, PM me as there are some nutcases loose on this forum

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Back in the day, the ZeitParents used to give away runner beans by the hundredweight.

My last efforts were so miserable that I gave up & grassed the lot.
    I thought you were going to say you put a 3m satellite dish there

Milan and Zeity "Satellite Dish installers to the rich and stupid"

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    If you have one acre, it is going to take a lot of effort to keep it up to scratch and stop it being overgrown.

I am hopeless at growing anything other than potatoes. At Chateau Paddy in Southern Europe, the neighbour looks after the majority of the half acre small holding in exchange for him planting corn on part of the plot. There is a separate two acre vineyard which I pay the locals to look after. It runs at a loss but the end result (the wine) is free.

yo Paddy,

I am modestly starting with 50m2

Chateau Paddy sounds amazing, are you able to consume each season's wine before the next :-)

Where is it, Tuscany or ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Coooooor!! Thanks GL. Luvvly and grubby just the way I like it. (The 2nd picture I mean!)

Did you get blight?
    I'm always covered in blight. Oh, you mean the potatoes.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Ah, potatoes. You plant a potato, the potato plant grows, and next year, if you are lucky, you dig up one decent potato.

Here's one for you, Xoggy....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X