• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why don't Japanese drivers buy US cars?"

Collapse

• NigelJK
    replied
    Frack baby frack

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    They're both grim. Give me a German coupe instead - anything from TT FSI through a Merc C63 to a 911 GTS. Ideally give me an Aston DBS or Bentley Continental but meh, I'm only a contractor, not a footballer.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Frack baby frack.
    Why won't the Ford Mustang sell a million 5.0 V8's here?

Because it costs £15 to fill it up in the USA and it does < 20 mpg.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Biggest selling "car" in USA 2015:

Biggest selling car in Japan:

Okay, snowflakes, can you see why US cars don't sell too well in Japan? Have a look and a think and a lie down in your safe space and get back to me.

Frack baby frack.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The reason Japan, and much of the rest of the world, don't buy too many American cars is because they're crap.
    Crap handling, crap build quality, inefficent.

HTH, BIDI.
    Biggest selling "car" in USA 2015:

Biggest selling car in Japan:

Okay, snowflakes, can you see why US cars don't sell too well in Japan? Have a look and a think and a lie down in your safe space and get back to me.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The reason Japan, and much of the rest of the world, don't buy too many American cars is because they're crap.
    Crap handling, crap build quality, inefficent.

HTH, BIDI.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    The reason why Japanese manufacturers created their luxury brands was marketing in the US market. Toyota created Lexus, Honda-Acura, Nissan-Infinity. The Japanese cars invaded the US marked with little cars, small engines and reliability, that couldn't be matched the US brands. But that made them a name of low-end cars for the poor, no self respecting American could have said "I drive Toyota". By creating a separate brand that only offers luxury models, the managed to tap the US up-market.

The reason why we are not seeing a lot of Infinity/Acura/Lexus in Europe is that the parent brands are well received, without the need for rebranding and many models that are sold under the up-market brand in the US are sold under the parent brand in Europe.

Similar Opel is branded Voxhall in the UK and Holden in Oz

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Depends on your budget and requirements I guess. The Mustang V8 is 20 grand cheaper than the S6 and other V8 coupes but is bloody thirsty. Looks great, sounds great, but would the 2.3 Turbo (313bhp) be sufficient for you?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Someone near where I live has bought himself a new Mustang with RHD! Nice looking but I've no idea how they handle the tight twist and turns of village roads.

I think James May did a programme a couple of years back about the Japanese cars initial introduction into the USA, quite revealing.
    Well I know that in Germany in November 2015 they were the biggest selling sports car in that class, beating the likes of Porsche and the Audi RS'es...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Every US-built car I've driven (hire cars only) has been terrible. The worst was a Chrysler convertible which was built from pig-iron, and handled like a trolleybus.
    On our last ski trip to the States we had a big Mazda SUV, and it was fantastic.
    Why would the Japanese buy an inferior product when they already build the 3 best selling cars in the US? Because they're not stupid.
    According to Clarkson and co on the grand tour, the japs make the top 5 selling cars in the us.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Someone near where I live has bought himself a new Mustang with RHD! Nice looking but I've no idea how they handle the tight twist and turns of village roads.

I think James May did a programme a couple of years back about the Japanese cars initial introduction into the USA, quite revealing.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Erm, not quite. The Yanks got the original branded as Acura NSX while we got it as the Honda NSX. Nice try though slick.
    So what brand in the UK gets it? A quick search tells me it's Honda for its on the front page of their websites

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think the clue is in the picture's file name (Acura NSX)
    Erm, not quite. The Yanks got the original branded as Acura NSX while we got it as the Honda NSX. Nice try though slick.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Infiniti had a Q30 and a Q60 on display at the Trafford Centre the other week. The Q60 seems very much a TT competitor, but also more of an upmarket Celica - pretty much what you'd expect from Nissan's luxury arm.

Interesting thing about Acura is that they've not launched in Japan yet despite being Honda's equivalent of Lexus to Toyota; that said, their early brands in the USA were what we know to be Honda, such as the Legend, Integra and NSX.

The new NSX was unveiled last year - I wonder if we're going to get it badged as Honda or Acura?

I think the clue is in the picture's file name (Acura NSX)

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Muscle cars are great, but they just don't work in the UK. Beyond that, US cars are generally terrible, particularly the interiors. Interestingly enough, there are some quality Japanese marques in the US market that aren't so common here, such as Infinity and Acura.
    Infiniti had a Q30 and a Q60 on display at the Trafford Centre the other week. The Q60 seems very much a TT competitor, but also more of an upmarket Celica - pretty much what you'd expect from Nissan's luxury arm.

Interesting thing about Acura is that they've not launched in Japan yet despite being Honda's equivalent of Lexus to Toyota; that said, their early brands in the USA were what we know to be Honda, such as the Legend, Integra and NSX.

The new NSX was unveiled last year - I wonder if we're going to get it badged as Honda or Acura?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X