• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit bill passed into law, House of Lords to go."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Enemies of the peopleLords confident of derailing Brexit timetable

Look forward to the Daily Mail "frothing at the mouth"

Demands
    An immediate, unilateral guarantee that the rights of 3m EU citizens in the UK will be protected after Brexit.
    A written guarantee that Parliament will be given a “meaningful” vote on any final deal that the Prime Minister secures
    Regular updates to Parliament on the progress of the Article 50 talks – at least every three months.
    Can anyone see any issues with that hampering the negotiation?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Well quite. If Britain has to reapply...(various problems)
    Tim Worstall - UKIP supporter. He would say that wouldn't he. Maybe he's right (I think he probably is), maybe he's wrong. What I find odd is that an IT contractor could have a problem with a simple IF statement.

The thrust of my argument was not that Britain won't automatically be in the WTO, rather that the assumption that all decisions must be based on over 50% majority to be "fair", is a bit silly - and flies in the face of the facts. But then PG and GB9 are used to a strong factual headwind.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It is not uncommon for referendums to have such a skewing, especially when the choice is between changing or not. For example, votes on independence in various places have required 2/3 majority. A 60/40 win either way would have put the nail in the losers' arguments, pretty much. EU referendum: 'Anything less than 60/40 for remain puts Brexit back on the agenda'

It's to ensure that there's no arguments like "if you conducted the referendum now, you'd get a different result".

However, Cameron probably didn't want to do a 60% because it would have looked as if he was worried he'd lose. Once again demonstrating how he put his own political position before the good of the country.

Democracy has many forms and "all votes being equal" is only one of them. You seem very politically naive. You really should do some studying
    So its was an Alternative Referendum an "Alt-Result"?

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If there is another referendum in Scotland and it's won by over 60%
    Minor point : The SNP can't even muster 50% of support for independence. 60% is a wet dream.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Yes I remember well the no. 10 scaremongering of the resident voter in Scotland during the referendum.

If there is another referendum in Scotland and it's won by over 60%, I can tell you one thing... Scotland will be a much happier place to live in the years to come. Might even consider moving back. Ideally they'd be using the euro.
    Except they were desperately wanting to stick to £ last time.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Merkel thrown you out yet?

Lots of people were terrified into voting Remain by all the scaremongering. As Project Fear recedes into the background so will the Remain cause.
    Yes I remember well the no. 10 scaremongering of the resident voter in Scotland during the referendum.

If there is another referendum in Scotland and it's won by over 60%, I can tell you one thing... Scotland will be a much happier place to live in the years to come. Might even consider moving back. Ideally they'd be using the euro.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    No. I disagree
    Well then you need to get out more and tour the country. I've met many people on my return trips to the UK. It is clear as punch people are divided. A visit to a clients office in Bristol recently at lunch, as soon as the subject came up there was a deafening silence with one person leaving the table.

And I don't even live there! And you don't see it??! Dear me.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Well quite. If Britain has to reapply it will require not a majority, but unanimity. With Argentina being on the panel, that may take a while.

I suppose we could invade or something - just to point out how "unfair" and "undemocratic" it all is (in the GB9/PG land of make believe).
    We could just impose massive tariffs on all those lovely goods we buy from them.

As for invading, a complete waste of time. Next time they invade the Falklands we should just drop a small nuclear bomb on Buenos Aires. Why blow up our own territory when we could do theirs.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    That is so true.

People do really love to put a label on something and then try to tell everyone that now thing has a label these rules must now be adhered too.

They never seem to understand that just because they have labeled something it does not mean anyone else will give a tulip.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Well quite. If Britain has to reapply it will require not a majority, but unanimity. With Argentina being on the panel, that may take a while.

I suppose we could invade or something - just to point out how "unfair" and "undemocratic" it all is (in the GB9/PG land of make believe).
    Bastard, stuck in my head now:

They even won Eurovision and foresee the UK during the Brexit turmoil

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.for...?client=safari

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    Alas, we delegated our WTO schedules to the EU. Perhaps in hindsight, this shouldn't have been done in such a way as would make undelegation non-trivially revocable.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Let's hope that Britain's WTO membership isn't just through the EU.
    https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e..._kingdom_e.htm

"The United Kingdom has been a WTO member since 1 January 1995 and a member of GATT since 1 January 1948. It is a member State of the European Union (more info). All EU member States are WTO members, as is the EU"

Alas, we delegated our WTO schedules to the EU. Perhaps in hindsight, this shouldn't have been done in such a way as would make undelegation non-trivially revocable.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Anyways in 1974 EC referendum, the SNP campaigned to LEAVE the European Community. And when they lost, they complained that England had dragged them into the EC.
    The SNP's view on the UK's membership of the EU, or any policy for that matter, will always be whatever suits their anti-English, anti-Westminster, anti-UK agenda.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Absolutely.

When it comes to referendum a clear majority should be in favour. Not 2 or 3%. Otherwise you'll have a divided nation until kingdom come. Scotland remains a very divided country even four years later. You think the remainers are just going to go away? The Brexiters will die off shortly leaving behind an even larger remain group.
    Merkel thrown you out yet?

Lots of people were terrified into voting Remain by all the scaremongering. As Project Fear recedes into the background so will the Remain cause.

Anyways in 1974 EC referendum, the SNP campaigned to LEAVE the European Community. And when they lost, they complained that England had dragged them into the EC.

If the evil English ever decide to go back you Scots Nat's will undoubtedly change your minds again !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X