• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bit of a technical question but opinion is great"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    did all of that when I migrated the world off Dynamics. We pressed a button & waited normally chatting & drinking tea with the PM. Migration was done on a Friday night.

This system however is not mine. Fewer users, fewer opportunities & customers and its taken 6 people so far.
    Ah, well that's different. You'll need to do the job properly. Shame.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    What's the source of your copy of data and what's the target?

What is the master of the data going to be?

Unless you have a mechanism to align changes made in any system then there isn't a lot of point doing the work at all.

The registry approach is OK but I always prefer a master hub single maintenance approach if possible. Lock down any functionality that allows changes elsewhere.

Whichever you go for, you're doomed.
    did all of that when I migrated the world off Dynamics. We pressed a button & waited normally chatting & drinking tea with the PM. Migration was done on a Friday night.

This system however is not mine. Fewer users, fewer opportunities & customers and its taken 6 people so far.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Big picture thinking? YMMS

Think only about the bit of work that you've been brought in for. It leads to disjointed development and allows you to upsell at a later date.
    Good point, well made.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Unless you have a mechanism to align changes made in any system then there isn't a lot of point doing the work at all.

The registry approach is OK but I always prefer a master hub single maintenance approach if possible. Lock down any functionality that allows changes elsewhere.

Big picture thinking? YMMS

Think only about the bit of work that you've been brought in for. It leads to disjointed development and allows you to upsell at a later date.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    If in doubt, code in vague complexities that only you understand and then don't document them or even comment the code, other than that you built it and your email address so that you'll get repeat business.
    Must be similar to the guy that managed to last 25 years contracting here.

A totally gilt edged job.

I believe they managed to get him out and 2 months later he was back

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    FTFY.
    Lovin that!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    FTFY.
    If in doubt, code in vague complexities that only you understand and then don't document them or even comment the code, other than that you built it and your email address so that you'll get repeat business.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Who cares what you requested 3 years ago. Here's what you should do today.
    If I was refused 3 years ago what makes you think I'm going to get it fixed today in the bits I have no control over.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    hardly I know what the answer is. I just needed the love.

A is the only answer if you practice mortgage-driven development and are keen to ensure many more years worth of contract renewals.

I thought you guys needed a laugh.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Agreed, lets not look back and learn from our mistakes.......lets just look forward

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If only that was what I requested 3 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    The usual bulltulip logic that you get is that it takes too long to do it properly.
    And......then that bulltulip decision bites them back for years afterwards

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It's a wonder these amateurs stay in business.

And it takes extra stupidity to dispute the need for unique keys even when the reasons are patiently explained.
    The usual bulltulip logic that you get is that it takes too long to do it properly.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    .. Then get told by the one who asked you to do it (who doesn't understand why records need an identifiable key) & Your Boss who is non technical that you are over complicating things and you think WTF??? ...
    It's a wonder these amateurs stay in business.

And it takes extra stupidity to dispute the need for unique keys even when the reasons are patiently explained.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X