• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Austria to ban full-face veil in public places"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yeah because you know all Muslim women
    Guessing they are the same as the rest of the non muslim women.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Taking your example about the bikini. In the past, we spend decades fighting moral nonsense that at the time was "fashion". Do you really believe that the Muslim women want's to be covered because of fashion or another excuse? I don't. If they have an opportunity of not wearing they opt for not wearing.
    Yeah because you know all Muslim women

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Tricky. But banning veils because some women are forced to wear them by husbands is like banning high heels because some women are forced to dress up my abusive husbands in the west.

Well neither do many of my views and I'm as English as they come. In fact many irreligious views by people here don't fit with liberal values either... the West contains many sub-groups of varying degrees of liberalism, we don't have a single cultural mentality like that. Look at the Methodists or the Quakers or Salvation Army, they're very much part of 'our' cultural heritage.

This whole issue of integration is approached badly in my view. Integration doesn't mean assimilation into some homogeneous cultural mix, it means different cultures living side by side.

Again you're taking as read they ARE subjected to it. Are they? I don't know, does anyone? I know lots of women people who due to their conservative Christian beliefs would never wear a bikini or low cut top. Are you going to argue they are wearing high-neck sweaters and ankle-length skirts because their husbands are subjecting them to overly harsh rules? Should they be forced to show their legs and cleavage the way Muslims are forced to show their faces?

Taking your example about the bikini. In the past, we spend decades fighting moral nonsense that at the time was "fashion". Do you really believe that the Muslim women want's to be covered because of fashion or another excuse? I don't. If they have an opportunity of not wearing they opt for not wearing.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    How on earth has FGM become such a problem in the UK?

It's a problem in all the countries they migrated. If they can't do an FGM in the hospitals they do it at home.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Go back to school and learn English. Was told me twice that my statements are twisting the debates. Gosh, I'm really a stupid racist.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    So we are essentially saying in the main, the same thing, they are taught it, regardless of the sex doing the teaching?
    Fancy that, the (separate, segregated) classes for women at the mosque are teaching the same as the male classes. Both sponsored by our chief arms buyer so UK government isn't going to intervene.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    The media spreading news about countries banning face coverings probably makes more teenage girls and women especially in their early twenties search for religious information online. Then there will be religious study groups both inside and outside Mosques that women only can attend.

Also it's not fair to blame this all on men as some Islamic scholars are women, though the only ones I've heard speak have all had liberal views
    So we are essentially saying in the main, the same thing, they are taught it, regardless of the sex doing the teaching?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    In years gone by it seemed less necessary to "cover up".

I would suggest that the instruction come from the mosque either via the husbands or the speaker (male) directly.

Otherwise, why are we seeing the change in behavior, maybe its social media also?

Very simple question?
    The media spreading news about countries banning face coverings probably makes more teenage girls and women especially in their early twenties search for religious information online. Then there will be religious study groups both inside and outside Mosques that women only can attend.

Also it's not fair to blame this all on men as some Islamic scholars are women, though the only ones I've heard speak have all had liberal views.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It's because if you indulge peoples' ridiculous superstitions and/or unwarranted religiosity they naturally accentuate them and play them up beyond any justified extent, to make themselves seem "special".

For example, take that Muslim shop assistant who refused to touch a pork pie (or was it declined to check out someone with alcohol among their goods?). By apologizing for putting her in that "impossible situation", Tescos have simply encouraged thousands of other similar incidents of Muslims just wishing to virtue signal way beyond what their religion demands or reasonably expects.

It's the same as agonising over the supposed hordes of people with back ache and mental health problems and other "vulnerabilities". If they stopped receiving extra money and care, you'd see millions of miraculous recoveries overnight!
    In fact a very devout young Muslim lad I worked with agreed with me when I said something similar.

Make of that what you will

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Told you what that lad said, it's the Wahhabis sponsoring our mosques.
    So if they're your Mosques then why don't you...oh, I don't know, paint them pink and lime green and hang a couple of disco balls inside

(I actually read that as Wasabis which put up a strange image )

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Learn how to read English in the context of a debate.
    Go back to school and stop twisting the debates.
    Go back to school and learn English. You were told twice your statement meant that people should walk around nude. Gosh you really are stupid.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Otherwise, why are we seeing the change in behavior, maybe its social media also?

Very simple question?
    It's because if you indulge peoples' ridiculous superstitions and/or unwarranted religiosity they naturally accentuate them and play them up beyond any justified extent, to make themselves seem "special".

For example, take that Muslim shop assistant who refused to touch a pork pie (or was it declined to check out someone with alcohol among their goods?). By apologizing for putting her in that "impossible situation", Tescos have simply encouraged thousands of other similar incidents of Muslims just wishing to virtue signal way beyond what their religion demands or reasonably expects.

It's the same as agonising over the supposed hordes of people with back ache and mental health problems and other "vulnerabilities". If they stopped receiving extra money and care, you'd see millions of miraculous recoveries overnight!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    banning veils because some women are forced to wear them by husbands is like banning high heels because some women are forced to dress up my abusive husbands in the west.
    Quite agree. Without veils some may not even be allowed to go out at all. This obsession with the Muslim veil is pointless, we need to tackle the real problems, not the harmless symptoms. Eg:

a) We should only allow immigration by those who are aware of and totally accept the main principles and laws of our society and are prepared to integrate.
    b) We should stop encouraging multi-culturalism. It isn't the harmless things, like how people dress, but the rejection of core principles of British society that is a problem. It is negative too when people never mix. Most news is bad news, we need to see the other side of people.
    c) We need strict monitoring of what is taught in schools.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Again you're taking as read they ARE subjected to it. Are they? I don't know, does anyone? I know lots of women people who due to their conservative Christian beliefs would never wear a bikini or low cut top. Are you going to argue they are wearing high-neck sweaters and ankle-length skirts because their husbands are subjecting them to overly harsh rules? Should they be forced to show their legs and cleavage the way Muslims are forced to show their faces?
    In years gone by it seemed less necessary to "cover up".

I would suggest that the instruction come from the mosque either via the husbands or the speaker (male) directly.

Very simple question?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    And what can be done if it is?
    Tricky. But banning veils because some women are forced to wear them by husbands is like banning high heels because some women are forced to dress up my abusive husbands in the west.

It's black and white for me. It doesn't fit with Western liberal values
    Well neither do many of my views and I'm as English as they come. In fact many irreligious views by people here don't fit with liberal values either... the West contains many sub-groups of varying degrees of liberalism, we don't have a single cultural mentality like that. Look at the Methodists or the Quakers or Salvation Army, they're very much part of 'our' cultural heritage.

This whole issue of integration is approached badly in my view. Integration doesn't mean assimilation into some homogeneous cultural mix, it means different cultures living side by side.

I wouldn't want my wife or daughter subjected to this nor, I suspect, do you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X