• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Great TV Licence Scam"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    You shouldn't talk about your missus like that.
    My missus is MUCH scarier than a mere dog!!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I can lend you a dog....don't worry.
    You shouldn't talk about your missus like that.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    If I could be arsed, I'd cancel my direct debit too and go back to paying it in farthings at the post office.

I'm getting a nice little pile of threatening letters from them for the ZeitParents' house, which can not receive any televisual broadcasts due to the analogue transmissions being terminated.

I'm waiting for the oik to turn up so I can merrily tell him to feck orff and get off moi laaaaaaaaaand before I set the dogs on him.

I haven't got a dog though, so it's a bit of a bluff all in all.
    I can lend you a dog....don't worry.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Just had a missed call from the TV Licensing people.

Rang them back and finally got hold of a very pleasant young chap.

I explained to him just why I had cancelled the direct debit after the final payment and he was very understanding.

He cancelled the direct debit at their end too and I await my renewal reminder come June.

Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Tax man does the same thing, demanding payments in advance of earnings based on their guess at how much you will earn that tax year. Complain to the revenue adjudicator is the only way to stop it.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    You resemble an Alabaman super-plus-size underwear model.
    Don't diss me whilst I am on my charm offensive!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    I resemble that remark!!!
    You resemble an Alabaman super-plus-size underwear model.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    What, you look like an arse?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Well, it's a reasonable assumption given the quantity of bile and venom you spew in the direction of anyone who suggests that you might be talking out of your arse.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...you must think I have time to burn!! ...
    Well, it's a reasonable assumption given the quantity of bile and venom you spew in the direction of anyone who suggests that you might be talking out of your arse.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    if you'd bothered to try to comprehend my posts
    And why in God's name would anyone bother trying to do that? Honestly.....you must think I have time to burn!!

Netflix and Amazon have shown that state funding isn't necessary to make good programs.
    Indeed they do. And I quite happily pay for both.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    You say that like it is a BAD thing.
    I expect you are just the sort of meek rollover type so typical of your entitled generation. You certainly come across that way. Limp!
    Why would entitled people be rollover types?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...Particularly ironic that neither of you are actually subject to this fee
    No - but I am subject to a similar fee. This fee funds a few Swiss channels, and despite these being also funded by advertising, the licence fee is much higher than the one you're paying for. Further, it's far more difficult to avoid paying than the UK licence, since it covers also being able to receive TV over the internet - whether you do or not. Even if you have no internet and no tv, you are still liable if you have a radio in your car!

On top of the license fee, I also pay for cable TV access. The only way to avoid that is to remove the wiring. Blanking out the socket isn't sufficient.

... yet seem so keen on preserving it for others...
    Nope. As I've outlined, I've got far more to complain about than you. But if you'd bothered to read my posts, you'd notice that not once have I suggested that the licence should be preserved.

Netflix and Amazon have shown that state funding isn't necessary to make good programs.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I am a millenial poster who is also a moderator.

WTFH........making "an impact" on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Wish I could get rid of the TV Licence but apparently the misses just can't do without a couple of SOAPs. Shame there isn't a reduced fee for just the BBC iplayer or different payment plans.
    I've deprogrammed BBC1 from my set.

I do not want the state sponsored, suicide inducing social engineering bile that is East Enders exuding from my TV screen even for the few seconds it takes until I've realised I'm on the wrong channel for "Triple D".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X