• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Talk me out of a Porsche?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Just do it. Don't listen to the bitter and twisted. Life is too short. We bought our Cayenne last year. Will replace it with a Targa when the kids are little older. Yes it's expensive to maintain compared to Nissan micra - but then I accelerate with kaboom and cruise down the road at 150kmph with pinpoint control. We thought about a range rover but too many reliability issues. Just the other day I saw a shiny new RRS with a dud headlight

Was taking pictures of the sun light reflecting off the alps a few nights ago

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Plug and tube change isn't an engine out job, it's a two hour diy.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...s_-_Coils.htm#

A Porsche is just a motor car after all, for general maintenance. YouTube "paul1962" and you will see how many jobs can be done in your driveway on a 986 (987 applies).

Leave a comment:

• nucastle
    replied
    Originally posted by FMCG View Post
    Is a 996 Trubo S Cabriolet in Black with Black okay
    Yep, the turbos have diefferent engines (Megzer) so they don't suffer all the weaknesses that made the regular 911's a ticking timebomb.

I had a 996 C2 and the day after I swapped it for an RS6 the engine went 'bang' for the new owner. Amazingly the guy didn't blame me as Porsche themselves had failed to spot this was on the cards after I'd had it booked in for inspections for suspicious engine noises.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Try over a grand to change the spark plugs on a Cayman.

Sounds like a bargain to me!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Ouch. On the GT86 it's an engine out job.

I have to admit that since turning 45 I have a much more positive opinion of Porsches. Must be the first sign of the getting fat / receding hairline / erectile dysfunction stage of life to come.
    It is on a Cayman as well. Dunno about boxster and other models.

Lol @ the rest.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Ouch. On the GT86 it's an engine out job.

I have to admit that since turning 45 I have a much more positive opinion of Porsches. Must be the first sign of the getting fat / receding hairline / erectile dysfunction stage of life to come.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Sigh, they do ask me to park round back.
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Well it's only £120 if you've got the non S but good luck trying to find a dealership that will have it sitting on their forecourt for more than 20 mins.
    Sigh, they do ask me to park round back.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Typical of you Cayman S show-offs going for the diamond encrusted spark plugs, its all bling and show with you lot.
    Well it's only £120 if you've got the non S but good luck trying to find a dealership that will have it sitting on their forecourt for more than 20 mins.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Typical of you Cayman S show-offs going for the diamond encrusted spark plugs, its all bling and show with you lot.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've just been quoted 230 quid for wheel alignment from Porsche, that might put you off.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I've just been quoted 230 quid for wheel alignment from Porsche, that might put you off.

Funnily enough thinking tracking was a simple thing I booked it into Halfords for 30 quid online. Nice man from Halfords called me this morning to say actually they don't have the special equipment for a Porsche. Interestingly enough, not to be put off he said they would have still have a go if I was willing to risk it. That's British spirit, not to be put off by fancy German engineering.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Most sorted, and Face lifted (although I was always a fan of the 'buttresses'). Galvanised body, V12 was increased to 6.0l and better electrics. If you want rarity go for V12 Cabriolet, although good ones are getting hard to find. Another rarity is the 'Le Mans' 6.0l and gold plated trimming to celebrate the 1988 Le Mans win (not to be confused with the 'collectors favourite' the Celebration).

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Talk me out of a Porsche?

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    Post 1994 XJS V12 Droptop. Guaranteed classic status and prices are starting to rise.
    Why post '94?

Is that when they sorted the wiring issues?

Great looking motor [emoji106]🏽

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Post 1994 XJS V12 Droptop. Guaranteed classic status and prices are starting to rise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X