• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Associate EU membership on offer for every Brit"

Collapse

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm just being rude for the sake of it.

Anyone who can see the advantages of the UK and individual UK citizens being in the EU or having close ties with it are apparently the elite. This includes those in unions who worked with other unions across Europe to ensure EU directives on equality and workers rights.
    I see. In that case, I can live with being called an elitist. I've been called worse ;-)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    How so?
    I'm just being rude for the sake of it.

Anyone who can see the advantages of the UK and individual UK citizens being in the EU or having close ties with it are apparently the elite. This includes those in unions who worked with other unions across Europe to ensure EU directives on equality and workers rights.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Elitist!
    How so?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    ...for a small fee.
    The irksome thing about this is that several 'remaniacs' I know who were threatening to leave the UK for the Utopia known as Europe will now stay here. I was looking forward to bidding them good riddance

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You're unlikely to get it if the UK does not offer a similar deal to the EU nationals living in the UK. So far the EU speaks with the same voice. Mrs May has tried to put a wedge into the wall by inviting Polish PM for consultations, but she has achieved nothing. What she does not realise is that the old Europe is (for now) not interested in sacrificing Eastern Europe in order to save good relations with the UK. Mainly because the results of the EU referendum threaten every EU national alike, no matter which member state they come from. That's millions of people who have made the UK their home. The Brexiters have sacrificed the sense of everyday security of those people in order to win the votes of those who will not benefit from Brexit at all. Unless they will all get jobs with the Home Office issuing Certificates of Registration to several millions of EU nationals living in the UK. But I doubt it somehow.
    Elitist!

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If I had enhanced access to the EU for say £1K a year I would be stupid not to pay especially if I got the tax back I used to pay towards it. Its all the other stuff we don't want, I love Europe I just don't want to be beholden to it.
    You're unlikely to get it if the UK does not offer a similar deal to the EU nationals living in the UK. So far the EU speaks with the same voice. Mrs May has tried to put a wedge into the wall by inviting Polish PM for consultations, but she has achieved nothing. What she does not realise is that the old Europe is (for now) not interested in sacrificing Eastern Europe in order to save good relations with the UK. Mainly because the results of the EU referendum threaten every EU national alike, no matter which member state they come from. That's millions of people who have made the UK their home. The Brexiters have sacrificed the sense of everyday security of those people in order to win the votes of those who will not benefit from Brexit at all. Unless they will all get jobs with the Home Office issuing Certificates of Registration to several millions of EU nationals living in the UK. But I doubt it somehow.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If I had enhanced access to the EU for say £1K a year I would be stupid not to pay especially if I got the tax back I used to pay towards it. Its all the other stuff we don't want, I love Europe I just don't want to be beholden to it.
    In what way?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by blackeye View Post
    Interesting idea actually.

It won't get any further than an article in the news, but if it did I would happily pay to remain a part of the EU. I would imagine many employers in London would add this it as a perk for employees.

If fact most under 35s would jump at the change to remain. It's only you old codgers that still believe the EU hasn't been beneficial

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    Interesting idea actually.

It won't get any further than an article in the news, but if it did I would happily pay to remain a part of the EU. I would imagine many employers in London would add this it as a perk for employees.

If fact most under 35s would jump at the change to remain. It's only you old codgers that still believe the EU hasn't been beneficial

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    That's because we don't want to go there. Economically illiterate bell-ends only.
    Like your mates:

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

At the moment, you can go to the mission/embassy/consulate of any EU country, if Britain has no presence.
    The point he's trying to make is the EU as a supra-national organisation won't protect you itself if things go wrong, but the UK as a sovereign state will. However as it is internationally agreed that every individual is entitled to have a passport of a sovereign state then his argument falls down...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    That's because we don't want to go there. Economically because were are linguistically illiterate bell-ends only.
    FTFY

You go to the country of the passport you are carrying with you. As the EU doesn't issue passports it will be the UK.
    At the moment, you can go to the mission/embassy/consulate of any EU country, if Britain has no presence.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Won't happen anyway, just British media mouthing off again...

The EU is not considering plans to grant “associate citizenship” to British nationals after the U.K. leaves the bloc, several British media reports notwithstanding.

The suggestion was made in an 66-word amendment floated in the European Parliament to a non-binding resolution on the future of the European Union, voted on Thursday, which has no legal and little political impact on the Brexit negotiations set to start next year.

What’s more, the Lisbon Treaty of the EU doesn’t allow for any kind of citizenship — associated or otherwise — for citizens of countries who don’t belong to the EU. To wit, the bloc’s de facto constitution states that EU citizenship “shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship” and that to obtain EU citizenship a person must “[hold] the nationality of a Member State….” There are no existing plans to change the treaty.

In 2014, the European Parliament voted against schemes whereby non-EU nationals could purchase residency rights in an EU member state. MEPs at the time said: “EU citizenship implies the holding of a stake in the Union and depends on a person’s ties with Europe and the Member States or on personal ties with EU citizens.”

This week’s resolution notes that “the constitutional elements of the Union … are essential, indivisible pillars of the Union…” and that “this constitutional unity cannot be undone during the negotiations of the exit of the United Kingdom from the Union.”

Guy Verhofstadt, the Parliament’s chief Brexit negotiator, said during the vote that he withdrew the proposal for a special “citizenship” status for British nationals in order to include it in a separate non-binding resolution on the U.K.’s exit negotiations, to be prepared for spring. This resolution also isn’t binding on anyone.

Not everyone was convinced by Verhofstadt’s rationale, and some MEPs suggested the former Belgian prime minister and Liberal leader in the Parliament was playing political games. “I think it was withdrawn precisely because it would have been defeated [in the vote on Thursday],” said MEP Ashley Fox, the leader of the Conservatives in the Parliament and a member of the committee that considered the resolution.

The European Parliament’s role in the negotiations will be limited to granting consent to the final deal negotiated between the EU and the U.K., although Verhofstadt is likely to be present in some meetings.

Earlier in the week, Michel Barnier, who will lead the negotiations on behalf of the EU’s remaining 27 member states, ruled out “cherry-picking” the best bits of EU membership.

“Being a member of the European Union comes with rights and benefits,” he told reporters. “Third countries can never have the same rights and benefits since they are not subject to the same obligations.”

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    That's because we don't want to go there. Economically illiterate bell-ends only like wot I is.
    FTFY: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bellend

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And if you happen to be (hypothetically...) locked up in a South American prison getting buggered twice a day... who do you call for help? The closest British consulate or the closest EU diplomatic mission? Just asking...
    You go to the country of the passport you are carrying with you. As the EU doesn't issue passports it will be the UK.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X