• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It doesn't just rain"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I'm tempted to suggest the lad takes up darts, but only if the medication looks like it's working.
    Or he plays with his dad.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    At least he is a good shot.
    I'm tempted to suggest the lad takes up darts, but only if the medication looks like it's working.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Ah! 8th May, and today, now the fourth time he's been excluded since this post. He threw a pencil in a temper which bounced off the wall and hit the teacher. That's violent behaviour you see.

Still no statement. Oh what bliss. Will he make the end of the school term without a permanent exclusion?

Brilliant.
    At least he is a good shot.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    He denies it even happened. It was out of the blue, he was completely calm and she leant across & whammo.

Then he lost the plot after doing it & reverted to throwing things.

Back at home, been calm as anything doing all his schoolwork. When the missus pushed him, he now says he did it, but she started it. No remorse or no idea why he even did it.

Doing tests this weekend and then Tuesday next week he has some new medication. Doctors next week.
    Ah! 8th May, and today, now the fourth time he's been excluded since this post. He threw a pencil in a temper which bounced off the wall and hit the teacher. That's violent behaviour you see.

Still no statement. Oh what bliss. Will he make the end of the school term without a permanent exclusion?

Brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Not acting up when you are bored is called discipline

Just because a kid wants to do what they want it does not mean they should be allowed to.

If everytime he stepped out of line he got a smack round the head he would learn quickly.

It's called discipline
    +1

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Whereas my current high street retail client co. is lurching from one tulipstorm cluster**** to another as a result of offshoring services, a rush to the cloud and general general corner cutting in the rush to get stuff into production. Despite us telling them explicitly not to do things and what they should be doing to make it all work without it turning into a mess no-one want to take responsibility for.

Almost makes me want to go back to the PS. At least things move slow enough there that you can see the tulip coming and do something about it.
    I wish that was true, but they are actively not adopting Agile because they "don't have time to bring people up to speed on it without impacting delivery.".....
    This is quite funny - I am currently running an Agile team - and we are interfacing into a 'waterfall team'

So the waterfall team say we need this in by date x - but you are not going to deliver until after that.

So I say where did you get date x from?

They say well that's what the exec asked for and we committed to

So I say what were those timescales based on?

They say well it's when we said we would deliver.

So I ask what value there is in rushing the project and potentially screwing up

And they say that is the date we have committed to

So i say and what are the benefits of meeting that date

And they say it will make us look good.

So I say what are the benefit to client co

And they look blank as they have only considered themselves in the whole equation.

And it is this sort of complete bollocks which causes projects to fail

100% done with it so far!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    MF, my son went through a similar phase when in year 4. He had a diagnoses of Aspergers (but no statement at that stage), and the school were utterly useless. They refused to allow him to have anything to fidgit with and would ban him from play time as a punishment for talking in class which in turn lead to him losing his temper big time. It turned out that he was talking because he was bored. He is very high achieving in maths and was bored tulipless by the level of work he was being given. Rather than try to push him, they suggested that he turn his chair so he could sit staring out the window.

In the end we moved him to another school with a dedicated SENCO who helped in getting him a statement. The new school has been amazing, and while he hasn't suddenly changed into a "normal" child, he has had no further anger issues.

Using timeout cards is a good idea, and blutac or some bits of lego also helped.

If you need help, do go and have a look at IPSEA https://www.ipsea.org.uk/ they are very good and offer free advice and even legal representation if needed.
    Not acting up when you are bored is called discipline

Just because a kid wants to do what they want it does not mean they should be allowed to.

If everytime he stepped out of line he got a smack round the head he would learn quickly.

It's called discipline

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    actually that was similar for me My older sister was considered a great student - Meek, Mild & very bright.

I was troublesome (I kept hitting people who bullied me). However when I scored higher on Bristol Achievement Tests (forerunner to SATs) than anyone in both our years my parents managed to get them to treat me normally and stop expecting to behave like my much calmer big sister.

Both of us turned out alright eventually.
    Both of you were 'normal' to begin with

There is nothing not normal about
    1) Being meek and mild - e..g not being an arrogant idiot who brays loudly about everything they do
    2) You hit people who attacked you

Or if the above things are not 'normal' then pretty much no one I went to school with was 'normal'

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    He denies it even happened. It was out of the blue, he was completely calm and she leant across & whammo.

Back at home, been calm as anything doing all his schoolwork. When the missus pushed him, he now says he did it, but she started it. No remorse or no idea why he even did it.

Doing tests this weekend and then Tuesday next week he has some new medication. Doctors next week.
    It sounds like she did start it. He should be getting a Crimestopper award and the teacher should be helping the police with their inquiries.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Did he lose his memory? Or think there was nothing wrong in what he did?

Has he has the GP or any other healthcare professionals this week?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Nah. It was just another fookin rain crowd.

DS1 suspended from school for punching a teacher who tried to take something from him. Completely random, he'd had the best morning of the week, when asked to hand something over he refused, when she reached for it, he instinctively hit out. Automatic temporary exclusion.

He then asked 'why do I have to leave school, what did I do?'

Brilliant.
    Did he lose his memory? Or think there was nothing wrong in what he did?

Has he has the GP or any other healthcare professionals this week?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    lol. Actually it was a combination. They want somebody who is a bit of a jack of all trades, has senior experience and can work with developers, is a data guru & knows what to do with it related to driving the business and it's in high street retail (but not one of the major supermarkets). So when I spoke to them on the interview, i gave them 3/4 ideas for something on how to drive the retail business. So in this case, having had shops for 10 years in addition to all the IT skills & sales/marketing I think they were interested. To be fair I like the company anyway it's on the high street so I was looking forward to it as well.

Oh well, lets see what happens Friday.
    ah so a perfect storm - fillyer boots. Lets hope you are better soon.

Sorry to hear about little one. Maybe the teacher needs some training how to deal with special kids, even I know not to do that when they are having an eggy.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Nah. It was just another fookin rain crowd.

DS1 suspended from school for punching a teacher who tried to take something from him. Completely random, he'd had the best morning of the week, when asked to hand something over he refused, when she reached for it, he instinctively hit out. Automatic temporary exclusion.

He then asked 'why do I have to leave school, what did I do?'

Brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They are being Agile....
    I wish that was true, but they are actively not adopting Agile because they "don't have time to bring people up to speed on it without impacting delivery.".....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Whereas my current high street retail client co. is lurching from one tulipstorm cluster**** to another as a result of offshoring services, a rush to the cloud and general general corner cutting in the rush to get stuff into production. Despite us telling them explicitly not to do things and what they should be doing to make it all work without it turning into a mess no-one want to take responsibility for.
    They are being Agile....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X