• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Price of Brexit? More Indians?"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Racist

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I see it as a bit of chicken or egg. There's a massive pull for talent towards London and therefore business interest in being there. If you were setting up or running a business where would you go? If you were looking for work, where are the highest paying contracts? Perhaps the BBC's move to Salford Quays is a mini-example of the outcome of trying to reverse such a trend.
    Well if nothing else, it's taught me where the subtitle button is on my million-button remote control...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Farage said on TV that the UK should be open to skilled labour from India rather than having unlimited migration from Europe. However, nothing is said about British workers being able to work and settle in India. It’s one way only.
    It's one way for a very good reason. Do you want to live there? Neither do I, and neither, it seems, do an awful lot of their "skilled" population.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I see it as a bit of chicken or egg. There's a massive pull for talent towards London and therefore business interest in being there. If you were setting up or running a business where would you go? If you were looking for work, where are the highest paying contracts? Perhaps the BBC's move to Salford Quays is a mini-example of the outcome of trying to reverse such a trend.
    I'm already in London.

Though to be fair I was born and raised here.

The location of your business depends on what you do, where your customers are and where your competitors are. Added to that some businesses are more secure in more secluded locations e.g. protestors are easier to spot.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You get stuck to it?
    woops!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    It's not racist if it's true.
    I'm not 100% sure that is accurate. Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    It's a viscous circle...
    You get stuck to it?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I know. It felt so strange but I've just liked one of his posts.
    go home & wash!

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Due to bad government (of every colour) strategies on ensuring most businesses want to be in London and the SE.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The number of people in the South East (or travelling in and out of it) has nothing to do with it?
    Due to bad government (of every colour) strategies on ensuring most businesses want to be in London and the SE.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    A rare gem from all the usual BS Scooter spouts
    I know. It felt so strange but I've just liked one of his posts.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It'll keep happening over and over again. You can have referenda until you're blue in the face. Until a government replaces short-term sound bites for votes with long-term strategies, the country will remain in a rut IMO.

Watching the panorama program recently on trains. - Crammed in like sardines whilst paying Rolls Royce prices. Something is seriously broken.
    A rare gem from all the usual BS Scooter spouts

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It'll keep happening over and over again. You can have referenda until you're blue in the face. Until a government replaces short-term sound bites for votes with long-term strategies, the country will remain in a rut IMO.

Watching the panorama program recently on trains. - Crammed in like sardines whilst paying Rolls Royce prices. Something is seriously broken.
    The number of people in the South East (or travelling in and out of it) has nothing to do with it?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    It's a viscous circle...

Starve the education system here so as to reduce the UK talent pool, then complain there is a skills shortage, keep outsourcing offshore and make the existing talent pool redundant forcing more onto the job market, reduce the market rate, use visas to bring offshore people on-shore, some of these will at some point become resident, thus more people on the job market, reduce the market rate. Wise elders say to youngsters don't go into a career in IT you are only likely to be made redundant when your job is outsourced. Talent pool reduced again as youngster's dont join the industry as elders are retired or on early retirement. Complain there is a skills shortage....

Ad infinitum.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    This will never happen. The sad fact of the matter is our default white male senior management want to work with people like them. Not some poor Indian guy that has eaten far too much food containing onions and garlic in the past 24 hours to be put in close quarters with their thousand pound suit.
    Erudite point there "foreigners stink". As opposed to the English guy who stinks of cigarettes and Lynx or the lady who thinks you're supposed to bathe in cheap horrific perfume.

Ugh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X