• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Kids phone

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Kids phone"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    Just given in to my kid's "all my mates have a phone" pestering, but given him a dumb phone until he's a bit older.
    An old hand-me-down....?

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Just given in to my kid's "all my mates have a phone" pestering, but given him a dumb phone until he's a bit older. Should buy me another 12 months until secondary school beckons.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Motorola g4 play
    +1 for Moto, +1 for GiffGaff

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    You'll be surprised at how much data they'll get through. Trying to explain why streaming YouTube kills the payg data allowance was too much constant hassle so we moved our daughter to a monthly contract instead.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Tesco mobile contract in my name, capped. Insurance added (already claimed twice because she dropped the phone and it smashed).

Cost of the contract and the phone (Moto G3 last year) was barely more than just buying the phone outright and adding a PAYG SIM, plus it means that she can't run out of credit so can always call me if she's stuck and in an emergency. Using PAYG runs the risk that she could run out of money and not be able to ring when she needs to - which to my mind defeats the object of her having a phone.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't wanna be rude but even with a case and screen protector? Glass fronted iPhone for a 9 year old. Not in my house......

Just out of interest OP. Why would you prefer to get them a new one and not a hand me down? Sounds like a perfect situation to get some moneys worth out of the hand me downs for a couple of years. At least at 9 they aren't going to have to keep up with their mates etc. I'd also be worried the child will be easy pickings for thieves and jealous mates if they have a new one.
    We don't want her to have an iPhone (the only spare phones in the house) as it makes her a target for thieves. So pretty much means a new phone rather than spend for a 2nd hand one.

Also considering that in 6 months she'll be going to school by herself we'd prefer her to have a phone to be able to contact us.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Don't wanna be rude but even with a case and screen protector? Glass fronted iPhone for a 9 year old. Not in my house......

Just out of interest OP. Why would you prefer to get them a new one and not a hand me down? Sounds like a perfect situation to get some moneys worth out of the hand me downs for a couple of years. At least at 9 they aren't going to have to keep up with their mates etc. I'd also be worried the child will be easy pickings for thieves and jealous mates if they have a new one.

She's stopped attaking her DS with a fork now so has matured a little...little bit selfish but I'm divorced so FaceTime has its attractions.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Huge battery life

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Motorola g4 play

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

MF still has that 250m radius exclusion order around primary schools, relevance of which is assuming the OP lives in England or Wales.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
    PAYG - second hand, iPhone 4 (with case & screen protector) from CEX

Last edited by northernladuk; 24 October 2016, 16:18.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Darin, stop using your iphone to dig the sand; you will damage it and have to use your GSM
    9 years olds are a lot more tech savvy than you give them credit for.

My 10 and 9 year old both have "feature phones" suppose for the price I could have got them a cheapo android/windows but at least this way we don't have to worry about data charges, PAYG SIM card with unlimited texts seem to keep them happy

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    My 9 year old does not get a phone.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Eldest kid (9 yr old) is bugging us to get a phone, would prefer to get her a new phone rather than a hand me down.

Not sure whether to go contract(cheaper) or PAYG(can't rack up £££ bills) - what do you lot do?
    Darin, stop using your iphone to dig the sand; you will damage it and have to use your GSM

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Get

Buy her a phone outright and then stick it on GiffGaff where you can change her package monthly if needed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X