• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "There's an app for that"

Collapse

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Benny View Post
    machine tells you when it's full. tells you how much powder to put in and into which compartment in the detergent tray,
    The melee range have a system called twin dos: you load in 2 large cartridges & it uses as much detergent & conditioner as is required for the setting (fabric, temp & degree of soiling)

I put cartridges in a month ago & they are still going strong, they are comparably priced to similar products, do a good job & smell nice

It will also tell you if you have over-loaded the machine

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    ...or you could just get the missus to do it

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Long overdue... bar codes on clothes and bar code scanner on washing machine + international standard for codes - scan each item as you load clothes into machine, error condition if you put lights in with coloureds - machine tells you when it's full. tells you how much powder to put in and into which compartment in the detergent tray, suggests optimum cycle and bingo! washing machine mastered ...or you could just get the missus to do it
    That won't work for me plus it would be too slow.

I don't specifically wear light clothes that need to be washed separately from darks.

Even when I wash bed linen and towels due to the colours I purposely choose they can all be washed together at 60c.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
    I hope there is an app to sort my clothes out into lights and darks.
    Long overdue... bar codes on clothes and bar code scanner on washing machine + international standard for codes - scan each item as you load clothes into machine, error condition if you put lights in with coloureds - machine tells you when it's full. tells you how much powder to put in and into which compartment in the detergent tray, suggests optimum cycle and bingo! washing machine mastered ...or you could just get the missus to do it

Leave a comment:

• jonnyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    What about if you like your toast more toasted than your wife likes hers? Or if you want the shower at your preferred temperature and with your music being played?
    Yeah - thats the funny thing. My toaster has these round funny knob things which if you turn them allllll the way to the left gives you warm bread, and if you turn them alllll the way to the right, gives you a blearing smoke alarm. Never have I....

1) Put bread in toaster
    2) ran upstairs
    3) got into bed
    4) grabbed my phone and started an app
    5) Turn the virtual dial thing up a notch, and press the GREEN button
    6) Wait for my phone to beep to tell me my toast is ready
    7) run all the way downstairs
    8) Eat my toast

Just a sign of the modern age I guess. Let me start my washing machine app.... what!?!?!? What do you mean 'No Soap Powder in machine' error - do I have to download another app to put the soap in the machine. I hope there is an app to sort my clothes out into lights and darks.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    In terms of the original discussion, I am always puzzled when i see 'the internet of things' discussed on programs like the Gadget Show or Click. I mean, whats the point? Why do I want a wifi connected toaster, kettle, washing machine or fridge? If I want some toast, no wifi is going to unwrap a loaf of bread, give it a sniff, check for the green stuff on the bread, put it in the toaster or add the butter. Same with the washing machine - if I want it delayed, or to start at a set time, there is a delay setting for that.
    What about if you like your toast more toasted than your wife likes hers? Or if you want the shower at your preferred temperature and with your music being played?

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    If I want some toast, my wife is going to unwrap a loaf of bread, give it a sniff, check for the green stuff on the bread, put it in the toaster and add the butter. Same with the washing machine - if I want it delayed, or to start at a set time, there is a delay setting for that.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• jonnyboy
    replied
    I have a 'little butler' which is a home version of the instant hot water tanks they have in offices - one of the best purchases I have made for my home - instant boiling water for tea, plus filling a saucepan for the veggies, etc. Installed it 5 or 6 years ago - I put a power monitor on it, and its 'trickle keep hot' system added the equivalent of 17p a week onto my electric bill - which was not that much over the year - so in the end, I leave it on all the time unless I am going on holiday.

In terms of the original discussion, I am always puzzled when i see 'the internet of things' discussed on programs like the Gadget Show or Click. I mean, whats the point? Why do I want a wifi connected toaster, kettle, washing machine or fridge? If I want some toast, no wifi is going to unwrap a loaf of bread, give it a sniff, check for the green stuff on the bread, put it in the toaster or add the butter. Same with the washing machine - if I want it delayed, or to start at a set time, there is a delay setting for that.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    He's giving a presentation called "Practical IoT Development" at this year's UK Oracle User Group - Agenda - SuperSunday 2016

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Typical 'I will get this working' moment. We've all had them !!
    I've had entire projects like that

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What if you want chilled water one minute, and boiling water the next? Sounds like they didn't think of that!
    Some models will give you that - the one I use has both - I have made a cup of coffee & then poured a glass of chilled water straight after. It looks like one tap but has 2 feeds going in to it.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Tea? Pah!

Need one of these....

Somabar | Robotic Bartender for your Home
    429 bucks!!! '

I'll stick to the old fashioned way for now.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Tea? Pah!

Need one of these....

Somabar | Robotic Bartender for your Home

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
    Isn't the point of the story that there isn't an app for that?

I know a few people that work for him - I'm surprised he didn't get his minions to fix it for him.
    Me too. Used to though. Seems he has left the company he founded....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    That would be against EU regulations.

Soon...
    that's alright we are brexiting, don't tell Scooter or the other expats! They will cry into their tea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X