• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What would JC say?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would JC say?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Find me a car that din't rust in the 1970's!

Cars (wherever they are from) have come a long way since then.
    The Rover P6 Club | About the Rover P6, the defining sports saloon of a generation

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Interesting you mentioned German car manafacturers. Mercedes cut costs from the mid-late 1990s to early 2000s and did serious damage to their reputation. Their cars rusted like the shi7e from the 1970s.

Cars (wherever they are from) have come a long way since then.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Interesting you mentioned German car manafacturers. Mercedes cut costs from the mid-late 1990s to early 2000s and did serious damage to their reputation. Their cars rusted like the shi7e from the 1970s.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Because the Bobs etc are cheaper. End of. Quality is not an issue for them, because if they can show a cost reduction, they get their bonus, move on, and hope that some other feckwit gets the blame when the f**k up fairy comes to visit. It's how big business has worked for the last 15 years at least. Cheap is good. And hope the consequences will be someone else's problem.
    Had this so many times. Eg, A few years ago at a well-known consultancy; a new departmental manager arrived to cut costs. After a couple of months, 2/3rds of the experienced project team were made redundant. Then a wait of four weeks for recent graduate Bobs to be transferred from Bangalore Office; they were paper qualified but many had never used a computer. Departmental manager receives a large bonus for doing a wonderful job of cutting costs and then buggers off. Projects delayed while HR advertises for local permies at Bob rates. Surprise, no applicants, more Bobs arrive. Lots of poo to clean up in more ways than one.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    At least you won't have far to go when you need to borrow a chutney spoon....

pretty happy actually they normally make great Neighbours.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Or a chillum, Boom Shankar

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    House next door is up for sale (£600k) only people who came to see it were Indian with multiple generations.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So a bit like Brits used to live in the mining days then... except then it was 3 generations of the same family in the same house
    Nah that's the Indians. House next door is up for sale (£600k) only people who came to see it were Indian with multiple generations.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Tell that to the privately owned and operated companies like BMW or Porsche. Quality matters. Yes shareholder short-termisn plc is driven by cost for a quick profit. But it's also the quickest route to their grave. There are no winners in the race to the bottom. Period. China being a prime example, built on the back of cheap labour, spiralling growth, and now drunk on debt. They'll now have to compete with west and since they copy everyone else they might find themselves up against the buffers quick sharp.

Really up to what business owners want, legacy/reputation or a quick buck. Can't have both.

Leave a comment:

• westtester
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Because the Bobs etc are cheaper. End of. Quality is not an issue for them, because if they can show a cost reduction, they get their bonus, move on, and hope that some other feckwit gets the blame when the f**k up fairy comes to visit. It's how big business has worked for the last 15 years at least. Cheap is good. And hope the consequences will be someone else's problem.
    I'm in a situation like this right now. We had a flood of Cognizent 'consultants' brought in to make up for a shortfall in devs and testers. They are worse than useless, I can see stressed out permies having to explain the same thing to them over and over again. I've sat in meetings where it's taken the full hour to explain something to them which should be obvious in around 10 minutes to a cretin. Despite a huge headcount, the project is falling behind week on week.....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    £30 PD, based here I have seen, although a run down terraced house in Hounslow, to house 10, was provided.
    So a bit like Brits used to live in the mining days then... except then it was 3 generations of the same family in the same house

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    How much apple tech have you bought?
    None.

However all my android phones, laptops and other computer bits and pieces come from China.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Apple make 500 quid profit off each phone.
    Not bad. I bought my last iPhone for €260 (on trading in with the old).

Someone somewhere is good with numbers.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm thinking about your underpants made in some sweatshop in Bangladesh.

Apple places itself in China not just for the cost of labour but also if they want 100,000 screws of this type you just cross the street, or 5,000 screens of this type, the next st along. The working conditions in foxcomm are just like financial boiler rooms in the city!
    Apple make 500 quid profit off each phone.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    How much apple tech have you bought?
    I'm thinking about your underpants made in some sweatshop in Bangladesh.

Apple places itself in China not just for the cost of labour but also if they want 100,000 screws of this type you just cross the street, or 5,000 screens of this type, the next st along. The working conditions in foxcomm are just like financial boiler rooms in the city!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X