• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying proper gym equipment"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Yeah but i don't think Tom Clancey Rainbow Warrior on the Xbox actually counts as proper fighting. But hell I'm still hoping to be called up for the England squad based on my fifa 16 stats.
    Oddly enough that is the one type of fighting that I can not even remotely keep up with kids half my age!!!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Why bother? Two 10km runs a week. 50 press ups after you wake up and before you go to bed. That is all a man needs to keep in top shape.
    Running is awful.

I bet you'd use that gym twice a month.
    I use my existing cheapo garage setup a few times a week - it was 5 days a week but I've got out of the habit over the holidays. I'm looking to upgrade, not buy a whim-gym

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    There are people in better shape than me but when I am fighting I can normally outlast pretty much anyone, even when they are half my age.
    Yeah but i don't think Tom Clancey Rainbow Warrior on the Xbox actually counts as proper fighting. But hell I'm still hoping to be called up for the England squad based on my fifa 16 stats.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    when I am fighting I can normally outlast pretty much anyone, even when they are half my age.
    Still enjoying the occasional pub brawl? Nice!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    What's the score with Kettlebells?

I've got a dodgy knee so would rather not run or row for a wee while, but perhaps focus on core strengths. This foodie is surprised you could potentially burn so many calories.
    You are better off getting dumbbells IMHO. You can do all of the exercises with them that you do with kettlebells but you can also vary the weight. No idea why people are so obsessed with them, your body does not know or care what the resistance is.

As for making your own gym at home. It is cheap and easy. Cost me less than £100, although I have moved it to work but the principle still applies. There are people in better shape than me but when I am fighting I can normally outlast pretty much anyone, even when they are half my age.

Leave a comment:

• Rabotnik
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    All you need is a Power Cage, a flat bench, and 200kg of Olympic weights & bar [/Arnie]
    This guy knows what's up.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Why bother? Two 10km runs a week. 50 press ups after you wake up and before you go to bed. That is all a man needs to keep in top shape.

I bet you'd use that gym twice a month.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    This foodie is surprised you could potentially burn so many calories.
    Good quality protein shakes are important when you're working out....

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    All you need is a Power Cage, a flat bench, and 200kg of Olympic weights & bar [/Arnie]

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got Reebock Cross trainer ZR9 for £258 and Men's Health Activex+ gym, various exercises, £199.99. Both really good so far, me and #1 son use them.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Does NLUK know he is being sold?
    He's used to it.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    What's the score with Kettlebells?

I've got a dodgy knee so would rather not run or row for a wee while, but perhaps focus on core strengths. This foodie is surprised you could potentially burn so many calories.

"Kettlebell fans love the heavy, round-shaped weights for a reason — kettlebell exercises combine cardio and strength training for a time-saving calorie burn. The amount of calories you can burn using kettlebells can be amazingly high: a study by the American Council on Exercise found that the average person burns 400 calories in 20 minutes when doing kettlebell exercises. More research has found that regularly exercising with kettlebells significantly reduces back, neck, and shoulder pain by strengthening core and upper body muscles."

source: Kettlebell Exercises For Weight Loss | POPSUGAR Fitness

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    PM me if you're interested in buying some 2nd hand heavy duty equipment.
    Does NLUK know he is being sold?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I think the biggest difference is that it is engineered to take 50 or 60 hours a week usage and not fall apart. Bigger bearings, spindles, stronger welds etc.
    Makes sense, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    PM me if you're interested in buying some 2nd hand heavy duty equipment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X