• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What return do you get (or would you need) on a holiday home/BTL?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Or that no-one wanted to rent it. 150k has to be a crap flat.
    You're just wrong. Property prices aren't the same everywhere as in London. Some simple maths looking at rental prices or holiday let prices down here show that it's reasonable - it might rent for £600pcm or a bit less.
    Cornwall is generally not an expensive area for property, not far off the North (where £160k can get you a 4 bed detached house with garden in an OK neighbourhood or 2-3 such places in a rough area)

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I'd see it as somewhere for us to go and chill when we're not renting it out.

In terms of the day rule, is it the days that you have it available for letting or the days that you actually let it that qualifies it as a holiday let?
    I think the rules are on the latter but with some flexibility if it is available. However you can't count weeks you give to your mates really cheaply... HMRC's site is actually full of useful stuff with examples for FHLs.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Got close to 80% occupancy last year with city pad;-)

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It is a weird model, that you a buy a place to leave empty 50% of the year. Not wonderful for local communities but still better than people buying a 2nd home they spend 3 weeks in a year!

That's what this flat was. It sat empty presumably 40+ weeks a year, weird!
    I'd see it as somewhere for us to go and chill when we're not renting it out.

In terms of the day rule, is it the days that you have it available for letting or the days that you actually let it that qualifies it as a holiday let?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It is a weird model, that you a buy a place to leave empty 50% of the year. Not wonderful for local communities but still better than people buying a 2nd home they spend 3 weeks in a year!

Or that no-one wanted to rent it. 150k has to be a crap flat.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    If you let it out week by week, furnished, it's a holiday let (FHL). You can't have people stay longer than 31 days on one go and it needs to be let for 201 days a year (from memory, there are some areas of leniency).
    BTL/FHL are quite different in how they function.
    Thanks. Like I said, I'm a couple of years behind you on this plan. I'm definitely looking at FHL rather than BTL.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    They don't seem to have a problem from what I can see...

I would agree with the 1200 - 1700 mark being the good stuff
    Thought about it but don't want to commit the capital required just yet... figured we'd try the water with a property that realistically could be resold quickly without costing us much.

So if you buy a flat in Leeds, it's a BTL but the same in Torquay equals a holiday let?
    If you let it out week by week, furnished, it's a holiday let (FHL). You can't have people stay longer than 31 days on one go and it needs to be let for 201 days a year (from memory, there are some areas of leniency).
    BTL/FHL are quite different in how they function.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Certainly less blubber. People actually exercise.
    Football hooliganism *is* exercise.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    But the Germans are as clean as the English.
    Certainly less blubber. People actually exercise.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Personal hygiene not much of a problem here.
    But the Germans are as clean as the English. The crackden that is Edinburgh? Only the cold stopping the stench while the 5 million litres of vegetable fat stops Glasgae reeking of BO and Buckies

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Lots of English on here, how about applying the same rules
    Personal hygiene not much of a problem here.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    You must really hate the English if you chose Munich
    It was a joke I've absolutely nothing against people from England. But that's the stereotype expected of me and trying to change that is like skiing up hill. Pointless and a waste of energy.

I rather like all the snow in Munich. Saying that, this was Edinburgh a few years ago:

Last edited by scooterscot; 8 September 2016, 09:29.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    HMRC currently treats BTLs as an investment and holiday lets as a business. THis will show up in the coming years as the interest on BTL mortgages is gradually disallowed as a business expense (we BTL landlords are all tax cheats, you see ).

If you are going to holiday let, or use the property as Serviced Accommodation (also A Real Business) be sure to finance it with a 'proper' commercial mortgage, not a BTL one.
    So if you buy a flat in Leeds, it's a BTL but the same in Torquay equals a holiday let?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Can plebs afford £700+/week? That's what a 2-bed flat goes for here!
    They don't seem to have a problem from what I can see...

I would agree with the 1200 - 1700 mark being the good stuff

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    It's full of English people too. I had to get out.
    Lots of English on here, how about applying the same rules

Leave a comment:

Working...
X