• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What return do you get (or would you need) on a holiday home/BTL?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    We have a holiday let in Edinburgh. I'd say half our income goes on expenses. If your costs are covered by half your income, go for it.

I'd consider a 'up and coming area' rather than a overpriced market myself.
    You mean people actually go on holiday to Edinburgh? Bloody hell, maybe that secure chalet in Guantanamo wasn't such a bad deal after all...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      You mean people actually go on holiday to Edinburgh? Bloody hell, maybe that secure chalet in Guantanamo wasn't such a bad deal after all...
      It's full of English people too. I had to get out.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You must really hate the English if you chose Munich over some of the sunnier options. Nothing against Munich mind, I can't speak highly enough, but when it snows, jeez it snows. We get a couple of inches and everything grinds to a halt. Munich gets 3 or 4 feet, and by morning you'd struggle to find a road or pavement which hasn't been cleared. My flight home was slightly delayed, but that turned out to be because there had been a mild frost at LHR.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Lots of English on here, how about applying the same rules
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Can plebs afford £700+/week? That's what a 2-bed flat goes for here!
            They don't seem to have a problem from what I can see...

I would agree with the 1200 - 1700 mark being the good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
              HMRC currently treats BTLs as an investment and holiday lets as a business. THis will show up in the coming years as the interest on BTL mortgages is gradually disallowed as a business expense (we BTL landlords are all tax cheats, you see ).

If you are going to holiday let, or use the property as Serviced Accommodation (also A Real Business) be sure to finance it with a 'proper' commercial mortgage, not a BTL one.
              So if you buy a flat in Leeds, it's a BTL but the same in Torquay equals a holiday let?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                You must really hate the English if you chose Munich
                It was a joke I've absolutely nothing against people from England. But that's the stereotype expected of me and trying to change that is like skiing up hill. Pointless and a waste of energy.

I rather like all the snow in Munich. Saying that, this was Edinburgh a few years ago:

Last edited by scooterscot; 8 September 2016, 09:29.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Lots of English on here, how about applying the same rules
                  Personal hygiene not much of a problem here.

Comment

Personal hygiene not much of a problem here.
                    But the Germans are as clean as the English. The crackden that is Edinburgh? Only the cold stopping the stench while the 5 million litres of vegetable fat stops Glasgae reeking of BO and Buckies
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      But the Germans are as clean as the English.
                      Certainly less blubber. People actually exercise.

Comment

Working...
                      X