• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gentrification

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gentrification"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by blackeye View Post
    London is great for those in it and who can afford it!

It's a huge brain drain on the talent within the 'regions' - the majority of smart young people move to London.
    To be made worse by HS2.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    London is great for those in it and who can afford it!

It's a huge brain drain on the talent within the 'regions' - the majority of smart young people move to London.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Or they have been nicked
    "Dame" Shirley Porter

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Or their tenants as the owners have moved elsewhere....
    Or they have been nicked

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Some of the properties have been brought and then rented out by their owners. So it's the owners' tenants.

Go boil your head - SueEllen

I guess that means I gotta make me own tea then

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Sue love, I can't decide if you are trying to say their or really mean they're

please confirm
    Some of the properties have been brought and then rented out by their owners. So it's the owners' tenants.

ta

and put the kettle on

Milan.
    Go boil your head - SueEllen

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

please confirm

ta

and put the kettle on

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

please confirm

ta

and put the kettle on

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Aye. One of the surprising things if you pass through a central London council estate is the large number of posh cars parked about. I've never worked out if these belong to people with money who've recently purchased newly renovated flats or people who paid a pittance for their council flat in the 80s and feel they can spash out on cars because their flat is now worth a million.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Loads of people end up being surprised that to find out their next door neighbour(s) are a council or housing association tenant.

Aye. One of the surprising things if you pass through a central London council estate is the large number of posh cars parked about. I've never worked out if these belong to people with money who've recently purchased newly renovated flats or people who paid a pittance for their council flat in the 80s and feel they can spash out on cars because their flat is now worth a million.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Paris is nothing like London.
    It's not a magnet for talent, it doesn't generate a 1/3 of France's GDP, it's not a leading financial centre
    The one thing you're right about is that they did put their North African population in the Banlieus (high rise blocks) on the outskirts - that was stupid as it's now a breeding ground for extremists.
    London still has huge council blocks in the heart of Chelsea or Finchley or just outside the City, it's far more integrated than Paris.
    Welcome to the Cretin club. You have posted two sensible "diatribes" so you now qualify. Welcome . Your Cretin badge is in the post

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Unlike Paris and even some other UK cities in London the rich live next to the poor.

This is due to large houses having being divided into flats owned by housing associations and councils, and estates that were put in what are now prime locations.

Loads of people end up being surprised that to find out their next door neighbour(s) are a council or housing association tenant.
    well with the new Migrant centres handily positioned next to the Eurostar in Paris that's going to change!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Paris did this a couple of decades ago. All the scumbags were moved to the suburbs, the suburbs became tuliphole ghettos, and Paris has just as much crime and grime, if not more than before. I didn't work out for them (except those who own property).
    Unhealthy like you suggest.
    Unlike Paris and even some other UK cities in London the rich live next to the poor.

This is due to large houses having being divided into flats owned by housing associations and councils, and estates that were put in what are now prime locations.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Paris did this a couple of decades ago. All the scumbags were moved to the suburbs, the suburbs became tuliphole ghettos, and Paris has just as much crime and grime, if not more than before. I didn't work out for them (except those who own property).
    Paris is nothing like London.
    It's not a magnet for talent, it doesn't generate a 1/3 of France's GDP, it's not a leading financial centre
    The one thing you're right about is that they did put their North African population in the Banlieus (high rise blocks) on the outskirts - that was stupid as it's now a breeding ground for extremists.
    London still has huge council blocks in the heart of Chelsea or Finchley or just outside the City, it's far more integrated than Paris.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    London is completing its transformation into a City state that bears no relationship to its hinterland, a bit like HK or Singapore. It's better educated, more diverse and much richer than the country as a whole and produces a third of the UK's output. That kind of disconnect hasn't happened anywhere else in Europe to such a degree.
    A little unhealthy if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X