• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The cccciirrrrcllleee of liiiifffffeeeeee"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It's the "I-ness" that a computer clearly doesn't have.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAMPy_AhEns

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    haha define "I-ness"
    Id.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Even monkeys have sentience, we simply just have way better hardware. That leads to a conclusion that sentience is not exclusive to humans.
    If you don't believe me see gorilla talking (with hands) the day it was captured. Crying "it's" mother was killed etc...

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    haha define "I-ness"
    He can't, Apple own the copyright

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    It's more likely that German humans are not as sophisticated when it comes to computers

Fair point about the pronoun, although that wasn't the point I was making.
    haha define "I-ness"

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Not something you ever get over. There'll be good days there'll be bad days.

Happiness is a choice. Choose wisely!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    So whether or not something is sentient is defined by which English pronoun is used?

In German a Computer is a 'He'. Are German computers smarter than ours?
    It's more likely that German humans are not as sophisticated when it comes to computers

Fair point about the pronoun, although that wasn't the point I was making.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    What if your brain rots after you die?
    Don't worry, not so much for you to personally worry about, when pondering such a big question.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Cogito ergo sum

...and that's what separates me from some of the posters on here.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    How do you know that you know now what you knew when you went to sleep? You might have invented a cure for cretinism but have completely forgotten all about it.
    What if your brain rots after you die? or smash your pc with a hammer. There will be no turning it on again because parts essential to running it are gone.

Life is just a flow of matter, our atoms later become fertiliser and become plants that get eaten by cows etc..... matter flows around the universe.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Define "consciousness".

I had no consciousness for several hours last night. I wasn't dead. When I woke up I still knew what I knew before I went to sleep, as did my computer when I woke it up.
    How do you know that you know now what you knew when you went to sleep? You might have invented a cure for cretinism but have completely forgotten all about it.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    The clue lies in the underlined words. Notice you said you woke it up not "him" or "her" up.
    The computer doesn't know its its an "I" - at least at the current state of the art.
    So whether or not something is sentient is defined by which English pronoun is used?

In German a Computer is a 'He'. Are German computers smarter than ours?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Define "consciousness".

I had no consciousness for several hours last night. I wasn't dead. When I woke up I still knew what I knew before I went to sleep, as did my computer when I woke it up.
    The clue lies in the underlined words. Notice you said you woke it up not "him" or "her" up.
    The computer doesn't know its its an "I" - at least at the current state of the art.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Bollox. Even when a computer is fully functional it has no consciousness.
    Define "consciousness".

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Bollox. Even when a computer is fully functional it has no consciousness.
    thats what Stephen Hawking says at least. Kinda what I believe too..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X