• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Keyless Entry Car Hacking!"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    The AMG's are a real quandary for me. I love the engine sound but the truly brutal performance just makes it unusable. They are starting to do the lighter 43 variants but Im still not convinced the roads are in a good enough state for the suspension not to drive me insane. Parts of the m25 feel like old car tracks.
    My concern is the lifespan of the new AMG A-class engine. 360 bhp from a 2.0 litre engine?

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    The AMG's are a real quandary for me. I love the engine sound but the truly brutal performance just makes it unusable. They are starting to do the lighter 43 variants but Im still not convinced the roads are in a good enough state for the suspension not to drive me insane. Parts of the m25 feel like old car tracks.
    C63 please. Could do with them being a bit cheaper on the second-hand market though.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Sasguru seems to have solved the security problem.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The security of them is one thing that keeps distracting me from going back to a Porsche next. It'd have to be an AMG though.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Yeah the whole range use roughly the same system. The thing I like about it is if you have keyless go the transmission range is sub 1m around the driver door or boot. So if I am locking the car I touch the door handle the door handle notices the key and uses wires to lock the car doors.

However the way to seamlessly steal a Mercedes goes as follows. pick your target car and bump into it in a carpark. Leave a note on the windscreen apologising and giving a name and Mobile number. (set up a Fake website for a luxury car bodyshop) When the owner calls to rant at you for hitting their new pride and joy apologise telling them that your wife caused it. But by some luck you own said body shop and you will have a chap collect the car and sort out the damage to MB standards and return it the same day and because you own the shop you can work on the car without having to declare the damage and risk reducing the resale value as top cars lose money for aftermarket bodywork repairs...

Give your stooge collection chap a nice looking Polo shirtt with your Logo and send him off to get the car.

Collect car pop it into a container and vanish. Now if you know what you are looking for and can pull gone in 60 seconds run you can grab well over a million in cars for a weeks work and vanish never to be seen...

As one customer I know found out when they lost an SL65 to this exact scam. They were so upset they bought an SLS with the insurance proceeds...
    The security of them is one thing that keeps distracting me from going back to a Porsche next. It'd have to be an AMG though.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Quite disturbing that VW have failed to do anything about it and indeed looked to cover it up.

I know a lad who works in the industry; he says that the Mercedes C Class I had was one of the toughest to get round, hence the earlier comment in the thread about walking past it to a Range Rover. It's not too different to a house burglar looking for the houses without alarms and double glazing.
    Yeah the whole range use roughly the same system. The thing I like about it is if you have keyless go the transmission range is sub 1m around the driver door or boot. So if I am locking the car I touch the door handle the door handle notices the key and uses wires to lock the car doors.

However the way to seamlessly steal a Mercedes goes as follows. pick your target car and bump into it in a carpark. Leave a note on the windscreen apologising and giving a name and Mobile number. (set up a Fake website for a luxury car bodyshop) When the owner calls to rant at you for hitting their new pride and joy apologise telling them that your wife caused it. But by some luck you own said body shop and you will have a chap collect the car and sort out the damage to MB standards and return it the same day and because you own the shop you can work on the car without having to declare the damage and risk reducing the resale value as top cars lose money for aftermarket bodywork repairs...

Give your stooge collection chap a nice looking Polo shirtt with your Logo and send him off to get the car.

Collect car pop it into a container and vanish. Now if you know what you are looking for and can pull gone in 60 seconds run you can grab well over a million in cars for a weeks work and vanish never to be seen...

As one customer I know found out when they lost an SL65 to this exact scam. They were so upset they bought an SLS with the insurance proceeds...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    No I don't think keyless matters. Most car barrels will not survive a thug with a screwdriver and the only thing stopping the car after that is the immobiliser. However, for many top models that appears to have been open to attack for some time... here is an article from last year.

Electronic car thieves carry out 42 per cent of top-end car grabs in London; the story VW kept quiet | Market Research | The Drum
    Quite disturbing that VW have failed to do anything about it and indeed looked to cover it up.

I know a lad who works in the industry; he says that the Mercedes C Class I had was one of the toughest to get round, hence the earlier comment in the thread about walking past it to a Range Rover. It's not too different to a house burglar looking for the houses without alarms and double glazing.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    some people have very small willies & need to compensate.
    Smaller wallets too.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Nothing wrong with old motors. In fact getting a huge financial kick in the spuds via depreciation seems dead stupid to me.
    some people have very small willies & need to compensate.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Brexit will sort that out because you'll all be buying 10 year old cut and shuts exported from Poland.
    Nothing wrong with old motors. In fact getting a huge financial kick in the spuds via depreciation seems dead stupid to me.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    The Porsches I've driven use remote central locking rather than keyless entry; that said, the most recent was a 2014, so they may have changed it very recently.
    No I don't think keyless matters. Most car barrels will not survive a thug with a screwdriver and the only thing stopping the car after that is the immobiliser. However, for many top models that appears to have been open to attack for some time... here is an article from last year.

Electronic car thieves carry out 42 per cent of top-end car grabs in London; the story VW kept quiet | Market Research | The Drum

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    If you own a

Audi
    Porsche
    VW
    BMW
    Volvo
    Range Rover / Landrover

You had better arrange some decent Gap insurance.

They are all at risk of theft as they are using roughly the same system. Some poor cow had her Evoke nicked the other week. They walked passed my Mercedes to steal it
    The Porsches I've driven use remote central locking rather than keyless entry; that said, the most recent was a 2014, so they may have changed it very recently.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Not to mention that crap V12 E type of the same era.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    VW. Fix emissions tests then mess up the entry system.

Its what happens if you buy shoddy German cr4p. Buy British.
    Yeah, cause the Princess and the Allegro were soooooo good.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    VW. Fix emissions tests then mess up the entry system.

Its what happens if you buy shoddy German cr4p. Buy British.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X