• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The magic fire that won't go out"

Collapse

• DallasDad
    replied
    Over the past few Autumns I have been layering my fields boundary hedges plus I often have no end of prunings that are too small to keep for the wood burners indoors

So we often have a fair size bonfire in an early stage of 'building uppiness'
    Here is a typical starter heap and yes my Geese were chasing my Shetlands, they do it for a laugh.

Anyway once about twice this size and lit it will burn down over night and the ash will form a very effective clamp.
    Even heavy rain won't have a significant impact.
    A quick rake the next morning and it will burst into flames.
    I often keep a single bonfire going for a day or three, the clamps are great for doing jacket potatoes (in tin foil).
    To put yours out just rake it out over a wider area to get rid of the clamp mound.
    Bear in mind the soil will stay hot for days so keep pets (and geese away) I put Sheep hurdles around mine.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    So we had the gardeners in yesterday to prune the overgrown trees, shrubs, hedges, laurel etc.
    And they made a fire to burn the garden waste (garden is large and adjoins other large gardens, so smoke not an issue).
    Then it rained quite heavily last night - I'd assumed that would put it out.
    And today I found the fire still going! So I took advantage and added some more wet garden waste on it.
    But its crackling away like a good 'un - Don't know how I could put it out even I wanted to.
    What sort of accelerant did the fookers use, I wonder.
    It will go out once Brexit kicks in

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Still going - ho hum ...
    Is this your post brexit attempt to torch the island for the insurance brass?

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Still going - ho hum ...

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Saddened the thread title did not involve a Smiths song title.
    I'm sure many EU nationals living here could identify with the lyrics. [Ben Elton]OO-ER little bit of politics...[/Ben Elton]

Oh, please don't drop me home
    Because it's not my home, it's their
    Home, and I'm welcome no more

qh

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    They haven't started something like this have they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire
    Dunno. There was quite a heavy shower just now. But the fooker is smoking away, hasn't been killed yet. It's so wet I reckon it's safe just to let it do its thing overnight

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Saddened the thread title did not involve a Smiths song title.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Were they ex-army Brexiter bods, who started the fire by lighting a slab of brown plasticky looking stuff?

If so, I wouldn't go too near it in case a twig snaps in the heat ...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Shame I didn't watch how they started it. ...
    Were they ex-army bods, who started the fire by lighting a slab of brown plasticky looking stuff?

If so, I wouldn't go too near it in case a twig snaps in the heat ...

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Are you sure your wife hasn't hidden her collection of clothes, shoes and money milked from her ex-husband in the shrubs?
    Must be made of something very flammable.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    It's just damp leaves and small shrub branches - that;'s why I'm surprised its still going.
    There was heavy rain just before it was lit yesterday so nothing was dry.
    Are you sure your wife hasn't hidden her collection of clothes, shoes and money milked from her ex-husband in the shrubs?

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Yes, still diesel, it will have soaked into the wet wood and will wick through it for many hours. The dry material should have burned quite fiercely.
    It's just damp leaves and small shrub branches - that;'s why I'm surprised its still going.
    There was heavy rain just before it was lit yesterday so nothing was dry.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It will take a LOT of water to quench it if there is still a lot of things to burn.
    I've seen a diesel fire of garden waste/branches burn for 3+ days.
    Yikes!

It's an interesting education though - if you're going on a camping trip or on a jungle expedition, its possible to have a fire continue indefinitely even through heavy rain. Who knew. Apart from you smartypants.
    Shame I didn't watch how they started it.

Lighting an unquenchable but controlled fire - that's a proper life skill, that is.
    Last edited by CretinWatcher; 13 July 2016, 16:01.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I thought it was practically impossible to set fire to diesel at normal atmospheric pressure and any reasonable temperature

I mean a diesel puddle won't ignite if you simply drop a lighted match on it.

Diesel will burn in one of two ways - by being sprayed as small droplets or by wicking. That's how old Agas/Rayburns work. If it has something to wick through it will burn for a long time

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Suity's new fire lighter can even set water on fire.
    Its in Beta..

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    I thought it was practically impossible to set fire to diesel at normal atmospheric pressure and any reasonable temperature

I mean a diesel puddle won't ignite if you simply drop a lighted match on it.
    Suity's new fire lighter can even set water on fire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X