• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Article 50 won't be triggered this year under Gove"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Who cares what the economy is worth in $ terms. Its the overall standard of UK living that is important.
    I wonder if there is a relationship between the two.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The gnomes of Zurich strike again.

Who cares what the economy is worth in $ terms. Its the overall standard of UK living that is important.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The UK has the 56th largest economy:

France overtakes Britain as world’s fifth largest economy as Brexit fears hit markets | Home News | News | The Independent

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why is it unenforceable? Most of money made from downloads are made by a handful of known companies, they had to charge VAT for a long time OR they don't get sales at all.

At least those were EU rules, maybe if UK is on its own then those big companies would not bother...
    I'm only speaking from personal experience. Buying a shedload of Microsoft MCSE (NT4 - showing my age ) stuff from Barnes & Noble over the net from the US was about a third of the price compared to buying from the UK. ($200 as opposed to £500+). Factor in the favourable exchange rate at the time (late 90's) it was a no brainer. When it came to MS 2000, I bought the whole lot online, cost me $60. I didn't give a monkey's wotsit whether they charged or paid VAT. If you don't get the whole "dog eat dog" thing, that's fine, but if you feel uncomfortable, maybees you is in the wrong country what has nasty capitalist people in it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    An electronic copy is either a download or sent via email, therefore unenforceable and therefore irrelevant.
    Why is it unenforceable? Most of money made from downloads are made by a handful of known companies, they had to charge VAT for a long time OR they don't get sales at all.

At least those were EU rules, maybe if UK is on its own then those big companies would not bother...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Unless it's an electronic copy. Then it's 20%.
    An electronic copy is either a download or sent via email, therefore unenforceable and therefore irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Electronic copy is not a book!!!

It's like photo of a painting isn't the same as painting.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Books are 0% VAT rated and I believe no custom duty either.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Thats why I highlighted the "no customs duty either" bit of your post...

You are aware that customs duty might be 0 even on items greater than £135?

There is a very long list of products that have varying levels of duties depending where they come from, VAT is by far more important - 20% and it is taken from very small amount, not for printed books though.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    You have to pay VAT of 20% on much lower thresholds -

" gifts worth more than £34
    other goods worth more than £15"
    Thats why I highlighted the "no customs duty either" bit of your post...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It's also based on the value of the items. Anything below £135 attracts no charge.

Most other things will end up in customs waiting for you to pay import duties and VAT before they are released.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview
    You have to pay VAT of 20% on much lower thresholds -

" gifts worth more than £34
    other goods worth more than £15"

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The main trade barrier if not in the single market will be the bureaucracy associated with selling goods. For example:

Selling food to China - Doing Business in China

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    It's also based on the value of the items. Anything below £135 attracts no charge.

Most other things will end up in customs waiting for you to pay import duties and VAT before they are released.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I never have any trouble buying books from the US.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    TBH, I think it's rather pointless debating it further on here. There are respected authorities on both sides of this. My personal view (aligned with Lord Lisvane, for example) is that they absolutely can exercise prerogative power, if they wish, but that it would not be politically expedient to do so.
    I think that's right, and they could always ask Parliament to retrospectively approve it (which, as you say, wouldn't go down too well as by then it would be an irremediable fait accompli)

In terms of triggering Article 50 quickly, that would be stupid. Aside from the consolidation and planning that we need to engage with, it's one of our few bargaining chips. ..
    The other thing to bear in mind that this may not be just between the UK and the EU indefinitely. If continuing uncertainty starts causing domino effects that significantly affect other countries such as the US or China, there may be rapidly increasing pressure to resolve the issue faster than might suit us or the EU.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X