• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: How green are you?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How green are you?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    Have to agree with other comments - flat screens are not as good as the CRT ones.
    They (LCD) are good on your eyes - less overall radiation too. Everything else is immaterial unless you are prepared to go blind for it.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    My 20inch Phillips one was given to me by a company who were throwing them away - they were going to pay a company £250 to take it away as they were replacing all their CRT monitors with flat screens. I took 3 and gave 2 away. That was over 2 years ago and it has worked a treat ever since. Have to agree with other comments - flat screens are not as good as the CRT ones.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Have your tried changing the monitor cable?

Mine started ghosting a bit but a new monitor cable had it back to its previous lustre nice and quick
    Yeah I tried that - bought one of those really good quality Van Damme ones as well and it didn't make a blind bit of difference!

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    I’ll go green as soon as the major polluters of this planet (USA, China, India etc) make serious efforts to go green as well. UK government needs to grow a pair of balls quickly to pressure these countries to reduce their emissions.

It also needs to tackle big business. Does Currys or Comet or Tesco really need 50 great big plasmas/TFTs switched on at full tilt all day long in their stores? What about all the lights that remain on 24 hrs in offices? The best NL can do is to suggest outlawing the standby button on your telly. Oh yes, that should do it.

Putting a green tax on individuals is not the solution and is another cynical smash-&-grab by New Liebour.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
    The energy cost of manufacturing and running a hybrid car for its lifetime far exceeds that of a conventional car.
    Yes, I saw that report too. However, I would have got a non-green 4 x 4 so, for the driving I do, I produce less emissions per mile and that'll do for me.

And of course, once I do buy an overpriced house here in the South East, I will be fitting solar panels for the water heating and a rooftop turbine to generate some of my electricity.

Just doing my bit, probably to no net worth as the chinese and asians won't give a stuff about the emissions they produce over the next fifty years...

Leave a comment:

• Ivor1
    replied
    Im green, I love my green.

To expensive not to be green, I always turn lights off, leave nothing on stand by. Just added 200mm to my roof insulation, cost £150, B&Q doing buy 1 get 1 free on there loft insulation loft blankets.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    I wander around the house turning off lights left on by rest of family going DOH!! very loudly

I know the feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Have your tried changing the monitor cable?

Mine started ghosting a bit but a new monitor cable had it back to its previous lustre nice and quick

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    They were superb. I still have one for photo work, the colour balance is still superior.
    I found that they lose convergence after about 2 years and go blurry in one corner (just like the endless line of £20 B-grade G-series FD trinitrons I live on).

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I wander around the house turning off lights left on by rest of family going DOH!! very loudly

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    1600 * 1200 is fine on my 19" Iiyama CRT.
    They were superb. I still have one for photo work, the colour balance is still superior.

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    I have a hybrid car. I currently save the planet whilst driving and pay less tax as well. A truly win-win situation...

The energy cost of manufacturing and running a hybrid car for its lifetime far exceeds that of a conventional car.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Anyway if you are a web dev you really need a CRT and a LCD. Most web devs seem blissfully unaware that thier website will look completely different on CRT's and LCD's due to different colour levels. Have a look at a site that has very dark colours shades on and LCD and the same site will probably look black on a CRT, and one that is not too bright on a CRT will look dayglow on a CRT.

I was quite miffed when I first found that out...

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    cost of running a crt monitor = x

cost of running a tft monitor = y

cost in pollution of driving to pc world to by tft = z

cost in pollution of driving to skip with old crt = a

Cost in pollution of recycling crt = b

Cost in pollution of manufacturing tft = c

Will keep crt and just hand over my green tax to Gordon, I just know he will put it to good use.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    I turn off my PC screen when I blink. I also do this with my TV so when we watch telly as a family, we ensure we get our blinking in sync so as not to ruin our viewing enjoyment.

I also wear plastic pants with elasticated legs to avoid using the toilet during the day, thus also saving on flushes and therefore save water. I then empty the pants directly into the drain. I don't need to do this at the client site as they have urinals although they did ask me to stop sloshing when I demonstrated the pants early on in the contract.

Threaded

Leave a comment:

Working...
X