• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "After a resounding Brexit vote, Sunderland fears for Nissan plant"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    maybe with an apple & a candle we will see enlightenment on Brexit

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    oh a few hundred years ago.

But until you try it you will never know.
    Not to enlightened folk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_E...e_and_Germanic

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    When was it obvious that the world was flat?
    oh a few hundred years ago.

But until you try it you will never know.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    we are talking about car plants only. Obviously too complicated a concept for you.

Passporting may require current style freemarket access and therefore free movement however it might not. That is why we need to negotiate. It was obvious remain should win, it didn't. It was obvious the world was flat etc.
    When was it obvious that the world was flat?

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    5% of the profit for an item is from manufacturing, hence the cost of manufacturing is important, but not as important as the skillset needed to design, productionise and sell the item.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    Why would they negotiate on car plants only? They know our economy is reliant in financial services.
    Let me rephrase it in a simpler way :

Financial "passport" and freemarket = free movement.
    we are talking about car plants only. Obviously too complicated a concept for you.

Passporting may require current style freemarket access and therefore free movement however it might not. That is why we need to negotiate. It was obvious remain should win, it didn't. It was obvious the world was flat etc.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    As long as we retain access to the EEA (the Single Market) I can't see being in or out of the EU making much difference.
    You are correct, and I don't think anyone is arguing that that is not the case.

The question is, what concessions will the UK need to make (freedom of movement of people? payments to the EU?) to retain that access, and whether the final result looks for all intents and purposes no different to today except we no longer have any influence within the EU.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Is there a picture of the interviewee?

Surprised they could talk to him but not anyone else who may have had a differing view given the thousands that work there.
    Trawl around until you find someone with the right quote. Post article online. Job done. Go to pub.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    The writing was on the wall for Nissan the moment they partnered up with Renault. You don't think the French overlooked that as an opportunity to move production to France, by any chance?

April 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/business...uring.motoring

Britain's hard-pressed manufacturing base received a new blow yesterday when the French carmaker PSA Peugeot-Citroën said it was pulling out of the UK, closing its Ryton car factory at Coventry in the West Midlands with the loss of 2,300 jobs.
    Our wonderful EU allies at work again. Thank you France what will we do without you?

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Is there a picture of the interviewee?

Surprised they could talk to him but not anyone else who may have had a differing view given the thousands that work there.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    The writing was on the wall for Nissan the moment they partnered up with Renault. You don't think the French overlooked that as an opportunity to move production to France, by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you have two car plants and one has cheaper staff, unless there is another reason to stay in the more expensive area you move to the cheaper area.
    Yes I know all about that!! I lost a job because of a lower cost location 10 years ago !!!

Nissans very well aware of it too. Every manufacturer in the world is well aware of it. Luckily for everyone employed in a high cost country Corporations look at other factors as well. Nissan invested £100 million in producing the new Juke last year despite the impending referendum.

Nissan to invest £100m in Sunderland plant as new Juke gets the green light - Telegraph
    Nissan to invest £100m in Sunderland plant as new Juke gets the green light

Car giant Nissan picks Sunderland plant for huge investment with production of revamped Juke crossover beginning, safeguarding thousands of jobs
    As long as we retain access to the EEA (the Single Market) I can't see being in or out of the EU making much difference.
    Last edited by Flashman; 29 June 2016, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Those Labour MP's that retired will be filling out the Tory party application forms this morning.

Home sweet home.

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    as we are discussing car plants then any cretin would understand why I'm talking about Car plants only.

If you read my posts then I'm saying if they play hardball on car trade then we will survive the only benefit will be fewer German cars in the fast lane flashing their headlights at 100mph
    Why would they negotiate on car plants only? They know our economy is reliant in financial services.
    Let me rephrase it in a simpler way :

Financial "passport" and freemarket = free movement.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    If you have two car plants and one has cheaper staff, unless there is another reason to stay in the more expensive area you move to the cheaper area.
    Worked for DeLorean

Leave a comment:

Working...
X