• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spain says 'closer to' controlling Gibraltar after Brexit vote"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Another contender.
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    No one stopping them living in Britain....
    No ones stopping you from moving from Neasden to Truro either. But you'd mighty pissed off if you suddenly had to or be ruled by the Spanish.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    Maybe I misread the meaning of 19,300 remain vs 800 to leave then.
    Indeed you have.

For the hard of thinking, let me explain. While you may think that a vote to remain in the EU indicates that someone doesn't want to be British, Remain voters don't agree. In fact, I'd contend that the majority of Brexit voters wouldn't agree either.

When they were asked if they would like to be British, joint British/Spanish or even just Spanish, the Gibraltans democratically and resoundingly said that they wanted to continue to be British. In conjunction with their remain vote, this indicates that they want to

a) Continue to be ruled by Britain
    b) Continue to be part of the EU.

Again, you might think these are mutually exclusive alternatives, to many many people, they are not.

I hope that clears up your confusion.

One reason, I think, why they particularly wanted to be in the EU, is that EU membership makes it a lot harder for Spain to press their claim.

Please accept my most humble apologies
    Accepted.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Well done. Pig ignorant post of the day. There's been quite a few, but yours is clearly the winner.
    Maybe I misread the meaning of 19,300 remain vs 800 to leave then.

EU referendum: Gibraltar backs Remain in first result of the night | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Please accept my most humble apologies

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    That's not how they voted yesterday...
    Well done. Pig ignorant post of the day. There's been quite a few, but yours is clearly the winner.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    you don't seem to understand they actually want to be linked to the British and have confirmed so democratically.
    That's not how they voted yesterday...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If Scotland leave the UK we give them Gibraltar and the Falklands.

After all Scotland had a few little islands so a few more pieces of land would be OK.
    though the SNP will probably sell them for beans when the books don't balance.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    as I say part of brexit may need to be investigating what we do with Gibraltar & Scotland.
    If Scotland leave the UK we give them Gibraltar and the Falklands.

After all Scotland had a few little islands so a few more pieces of land would be OK.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They also didn't want to leave the EU.... tulip happens
    as I say part of brexit may need to be investigating what we do with Gibraltar & Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    that is not what they want.
    They also didn't want to leave the EU.... tulip happens

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    that is not what they want.

If we are going to unravel sovereign nations based on who owned it 200 years ago we could take back half the world.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Why not just ask the inhabitants if they want:
    Spanish rule
    UK rule
    Joint rule

Any option getting over 50% changes the status quo.

Same for Falklands but swap Spanish for Argentine
    already been done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkla...eignty_dispute

now if they wanted to be truly independent and remain in the EU maybe that is something we need to ask them during Brexit. Obviously once independent it wouldn't be surprising if they got invaded without our protection.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    you don't seem to understand they actually want to be linked to the British and have confirmed so democratically.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Its all a bit silly that we pretend its ours... Same goes for the Falklands...

Sensible thing is to agree joint ownership etc...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Why not just ask the inhabitants if they want:
    Spanish rule
    UK rule
    Joint rule

Any option getting over 50% changes the status quo.

Same for Falklands but swap Spanish for Argentine

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Guess it'll be up to the Gibraltarians to decide, do they want to:

a) Have their Cake;
    b) Eat it;
    c) Both of the above.
    Why can't the rest of the UK decide if we want to keep them?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X