• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who said Britain would thrive outside the EU in 2014?"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Not a huge fan of AEP, but it turns out that his views are pretty close to mine:

Brexit vote is about the supremacy of Parliament and nothing else: Why I am voting to leave the EU

Definitely worth a read if you're undecided.
    It's interesting that one of the complaints about the EU is that it's all political elitists putting their own ideals above the needs of the common people. The argument above is exactly the same. Fortunately I don't think it's one that the majority really care about (that'll be immigration), but it is one that persists and you'd have to say it's also very arrogant and elitist to think that high principles of sovereignty and democracy should trump matters around the economy, prosperity and living standards of millions of people.

But each to their own.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Not a huge fan of AEP, but it turns out that his views are pretty close to mine:

Brexit vote is about the supremacy of Parliament and nothing else: Why I am voting to leave the EU

Read this yesterday as well as reading, in part, to the missus who looked throughly bored. Basically it'll be a bumpy ride either way, but in the event of Brexit at least it'll be 'our pilots' in control.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Absolutely this. For the Euro to survive there is a need for much closer and tighter fiscal integration, and I think that means federalism.

The UK isn't in the Euro zone and we aren't federalists. In fact I'm surprised that we haven't been kicked out of the EU before now, unless TPTB fondly hope that we will eventually change our minds and accept the Euro sometime in the future.
    Sweden aren't in the Euro and are suppose to have another referendum when they meet the "economic tests". They voted "No" the last time and have become stronger anti-EU integration since.

So we only need to get worried if they have another one.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Absolutely this. For the Euro to survive there is a need for much closer and tighter fiscal integration, and I think that means federalism.

The UK isn't in the Euro zone and we aren't federalists. In fact I'm surprised that we haven't been kicked out of the EU before now, unless TPTB fondly hope that we will eventually change our minds and accept the Euro sometime in the future.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I don't know who said Britain would thrive outside the EU? David Cameron didn't. Have you watched the video?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Another very worthwhile read from today:

If Brexit wins out, let Britain go in peace - FT.com

Behind the FT paywall, so you may need to Google it and access indirectly, "If Brexit wins out, let Britain go in peace".

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    About time we heard from another aging comedian....

Jeremy Corbyn shocked to learn there’s a referendum going on | The Evening Haröld

“I was aware that people are talking about something a lot,” he said. “I thought that maybe Bake Off was back on or something.”

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Maybe we should have a 3rd option. We don't want to be ruled by London or Brussels. Maybe the third way could be Swiss style?
    Leaving the EU is one thing but giving the plebs a direct say in running the country! That will never happen .

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Maybe we should have a 3rd option. We don't want to be ruled by London or Brussels. Maybe the third way could be Swiss style?
    If someone comes up with a decent 3rd option I might vote for it.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    John Cleese on Brexit...

John Cleese backs Brexit and 'suggests' killing Jean Claude Juncker | Daily Mail Online

Cleese said Britain had been 'swimming against the tide' in its bid to bring about change in Brussels, where bureaucrats had taken away 'any trace of democratic accountability'.

The prominent Liberal Democrat supporter said it was a 'sad' situation and appeared to address his message to party grandee Lord [Paddy] Ashdown, who is campaigning for Remain.

'If I thought there was any chance of major reform in the EU, I'd vote to stay in. But there isn't. Sad. Sorry, Paddy,' he tweeted on Saturday.

Among the EU reforms suggested by the Monty Python star were 'give up the Euro, introduce accountability,and hang Jean-Claude Juncker'

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    If we Brexit then there will BE a 3rd way within a few years as the existing anachronistic experiment will crumble apart.
    We will then be very well placed to help to fashion a working alternative from the rubble of this outdated disaster.
    You heard it here first!!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    The entire world knows he's playing a double bluff.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Was he lying or stupid?
    Or is he lying or stupid now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X