• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EU referendum: Boris and Gove pledge tough new immigration system after Brexit"

Collapse

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Snob! Racist!

You want your child to mix with the children of hard working immigrants so she pulls her finger out and doesn't think she is entitled.

So I am a snob and racist You are one sandwich short of a picnic sweetheart

And dam right I don't want her to grow up being a whiny entitled brat.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You highlighted my "most" and then you wrote the below -

What part of most you don't understand?

Most is not equal to all.

Oh and the GPs in the last 3 practices I've been at don't do bloods, various vaccinations and some other things. You get to see a phlebotomist, nurse or a nurse practitioner for those whose appointments you make separately

And btw i was told by several doctors I know while the appointment system changed to most being on the day appointments.
    I know you said most, that is the thing I am calling into question. You can't presume "most" are anything of your own limited experience like you did.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    My kids class size is 25. There are two polish kids, one Romanian and ten Asian children. I am failing to see the issue. So she is technically in a minority. The school smashes national targets and its a high performing school by any measure.

The only factors that concern me are what they are being taught, the quality of education and what sort of results the school gets.

The ethnic make up of the class is of little relevance. In fact its only a positive if she is mixing with children of different cultures and beliefs.
    Snob! Racist!

You want your child to mix with the children of hard working immigrants so she pulls her finger out and doesn't think she is entitled.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    My GP doesn't work that way.
    You highlighted my "most" and then you wrote the below -

I think sometimes there is a danger of someone's personal experience being presented as a national norm...

My GP you can book an appointment on the day, first come first served... If you miss out on these, and I have only once, then you can plead your case for an emergency appointment. I know for a fact only about 5% of appointments are held back for these at my local surgery. You can book an appointment for weeks later for routine things like taking bloods and so on.

Other options where I live is to phone 111 and go through that system and get an appointment at the "walk in centre" which is basically a big GP surgery at the hospital, or one of the other ones around town.

I find there is a lot being put in place to try and stop people having to go to A&E. I don't think the system is quite as broke as people claim and the pressures are different in different regions.

My daughter has a couple of conditions which means we need access to GP services out of hours and regularly in hours and we never have a problem getting medical attention. You do have to know how the system works though.
    What part of most you don't understand?

Most is not equal to all.

Oh and the GPs in the last 3 practices I've been at don't do bloods, various vaccinations and some other things. You get to see a phlebotomist, nurse or a nurse practitioner for those whose appointments you make separately

And btw i was told by several doctors I know while the appointment system changed to most being on the day appointments.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    You've been hit extremely hard by the PC stick haven't you?

It's not racist to live in Scotland with your Scottish children, and not want them to go to a school where they are in the minority. It's about wanting the best education for them, and a big part of that is having English as the first language amongst your peers and teachers! </obvious>
    Next you will be saying all your best mates are black....

Within a couple of months the children who first language might not be English soon make huge strides and catch up.

Or do you think these children going around speaking to each other and the teachers in various foreign languages for the rest of their lives. FFS...

Racism is racism... Your being a bit racist dude... Your making mass generalisations based on someone race. These kids catch up quick. I have seen it within my daughters own school, and the results back that up.

Must be scary for the likes of you watching the world change around you. It isn't going to stop, even if the UK leaves the EU...
    Last edited by dx4100; 1 June 2016, 19:41.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    So no matter what religion or culture the school had, you'd just sign your kids up? It's basically birds of a feather and basic human nature. I'm not claiming it's right. I'm also not daft enough to claim that it doesn't make a difference.
    My kids class size is 25. There are two polish kids, one Romanian and ten Asian children. I am failing to see the issue. So she is technically in a minority. The school smashes national targets and its a high performing school by any measure.

The only factors that concern me are what they are being taught, the quality of education and what sort of results the school gets.

The ethnic make up of the class is of little relevance. In fact its only a positive if she is mixing with children of different cultures and beliefs.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So how do you know none of them are UK nationals?
    There exists the possibility there is a rogue Welsh child in there.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Whereas I'm a little Englander
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    There is a school near me, 230 children, not one is a UK national.

Is that healthy? A ghetto of self segregating EU nationals?
    So how do you know none of them are UK nationals?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I went to a school in Portugal (History - English school from 1 to 6 years - Cascais Portugal - St. John's School) where the Portuguese were probably in the minority and although it was called St. George's School there weren't that many British either, there were a lot of other Europeans though. I also went to a school in Paris where I was the only British person and I also went to school in South Africa where there were only a few British people (recognisable for not having short back and sides!) and I expect that is why I'm an identity challenged twat

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I went to a school in Portugal (History - English school from 1 to 6 years - Cascais Portugal - St. John's School) where the Portuguese were probably in the minority and although it was called St. George's School there weren't that many British either, there were a lot of other Europeans though. I also went to a school in Paris where I was the only British person and I also went to school in South Africa where there were only a few British people (recognisable for not having short back and sides!) and I expect that is why I'm probably more open to foreign influences than most British people having experienced being in the minority more times than once (I also lived near Abuja in Nigeria where the white man was definitely in the minority!)

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Someone I used to work with went to some fancy "European" private school with lots of kids from other European countries. It meant he learned French and bits of other languages, as well as experiencing people from different cultures. Sounds pretty good to me.

My parents sent me to state school with Brummies.

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Lets be frank, the problem isn't nationality, its a certain type of nationality people object to. Good old fashioned racism. Its all very sad.
    You've been hit extremely hard by the PC stick haven't you?

It's not racist to live in Scotland with your Scottish children, and not want them to go to a school where they are in the minority. It's about wanting the best education for them, and a big part of that is having English as the first language amongst your peers and teachers! </obvious>

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Not being a rampant racist you might find it amazing that the nationality of her fellow pupils isn't a big concern to me. If I moved to France, which I might be doing soon, her class mates won't all be British. This wouldn't concern me either.

Lets be frank, the problem isn't nationality, its a certain type of nationality people object to. Good old fashioned racism. Its all very sad.
    So no matter what religion or culture the school had, you'd just sign your kids up? It's basically birds of a feather and basic human nature. I'm not claiming it's right. I'm also not daft enough to claim that it doesn't make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    You, of course, would send your child to a school where they were such a minority.
    Not being a rampant racist you might find it amazing that the nationality of her fellow pupils isn't a big concern to me. If I moved to France, which I might be doing soon, her class mates won't all be British. This wouldn't concern me either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X