• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This is who Brexiteers say we should trade with ..."

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    They all said we'd die without Brentry to the Euro.

HTHBIDI
    Actually that's not true.

http://faculty.london.edu/rportes/re...sionReport.pdf

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Virtually every UK economist says Brexit hurts growth.

https://next.ft.com/content/1a86ab36...5-1a1d298b6250

That doesn't mean you don't want to vote for it, but it's pretty clear, when you make trade agreements you give up some "sovereignty" and get a bit richer, when you tear them up you do the opposite. The EU cuts transactional costs.

UK banks won't have unlimited access to the ECB as they currently do.
    They all said we'd die without Brentry to the Euro.

HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Virtually every UK economist says Brexit hurts growth.

https://next.ft.com/content/1a86ab36...5-1a1d298b6250

That doesn't mean you don't want to vote for it, but it's pretty clear, when you make trade agreements you give up some "sovereignty" and get a bit richer, when you tear them up you do the opposite. The EU cuts transactional costs.

UK banks won't have unlimited access to the ECB as they currently do.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Not wrong there. Perhaps it's time for a 'skilled industry' renaissance? Cut back soft degrees and push STEM courses? All sounds rather UKIP to me.
    You can churn out as many brilliant STEM grads as you want but if the industrial base doesn't exist to employ them they'll only end up working as baristas.
    How do you create large industrial companies from scratch, your 'skilled industry' renaissance? ?
    And that there's the big elephant in the room with Brexit.
    No one has explained to me what we would have to trade with if we don't really make anything.
    Our manufacturing base such it is is mainly foreign owned, maybe they'll stay after Brexit, maybe they'll go.
    But we have no say in the matter.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ok fair point, I was just thinking about Airbus and civil aerospace rather than military.
    Isn't the Uk's only stake in civil aerospace within a European project?
    I would hate to see the end of plane-making expertise when so much other expertise has been lost (e.g. nuclear power stations etc).
    Not wrong there. Perhaps it's time for a 'skilled industry' renaissance? Cut back soft degrees and push STEM courses? All sounds rather UKIP to me.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It was a joke dear boy. Then again, care to put some hard figures on your comments instead of emoticons? You are right though, buying from a defence contractor is just like swapping your weekly shopping purchases. See what I did there?
    Ok fair point, I was just thinking about Airbus and civil aerospace rather than military.
    Isn't the Uk's only stake in civil aerospace within a European project?
    I would hate to see the end of plane-making expertise when so much other expertise has been lost (e.g. nuclear power stations etc).

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    What difference does your house price make provided you can pay the mortgage (and that's given you have one)? In fact if you planning to do anything other than downsize then cheaper houses is what you should wish for.

Given I'm one of the plebs in the great scheme of things I'd much rather sovereignty over a few extra shillings (or thousands for that matter).
    Oh look the old sovereignty thingy again. The UK has not somehow lost its sovereignty by being in the EU. Parliament can simply repeal the European Communities Act of 1972 and we’d be out. MPs could do it now without a referendum if they wanted. Such is the power of a sovereign nation. UK sovereignty is not at stake in this referendum. It is, instead, proved by it. The referendum is rather about whether the UK has delegated excessive powers to the EU.

You might want to read this so you can understand what is meant by sovereignty: https://www.cps.org.uk/files/reports...ignity1991.pdf

This also makes interesting reading, the 14,000 other treaties that the UK has signed up to: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-treaties

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Now that we all agree that brexit is bad, go and vote remain boys

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    You mean our largest manufacturer which is intimately tied up with Europe.
    Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, post Brexit.
    I've divested the small fraction of my investments that I manage personally (more of a hobby) away from British manufacturers, just in case.
    It was a joke dear boy. Then again, care to put some hard figures on your comments instead of emoticons? You are right though, buying from a defence contractor is just like swapping your weekly shopping purchases. See what I did there?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Depends what you've invested in. Mr. Cameron has told me that BAE Systems would be a good bet.
    You mean our largest manufacturer which is intimately tied up with Europe.
    Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, post Brexit.
    I've divested the small fraction of my investments that I manage personally (more of a hobby) away from British manufacturers, just in case.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    because I've invested in FTSE you can tell i'm betting on remain. Hope i'm not wrong as it will be time to sell, for others too:S
    Depends what you've invested in. Mr. Cameron has told me that BAE Systems would be a good bet.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    It's not rocket science to figure out that Brexit will cause some negative economic impact.
    Even the more intelligent Brexiteers acknowledge that.
    No one knows how much, it will range from a little to a lot.
    A lot could mean the end of Britain as a top player politically and economically.
    That's the rub though. Staying in will also led to a host of unknowns ranging from minor to major. Even more intelligent Remainers acknowledge that.

Wasn't the sky supposed to have caved in when we didn't join the Euro?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It seems to me very stupid and short sighted to think that.

If you sacrifice your sovereignty, your wealth can be, and probably to a great extent will be, pinched at any time.
    So would you be in favour of your local parish council declaring independence?

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Hope i'm not wrong as it will be time to sell
    sell what

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Brexit won't stop trade.

Leave a comment:

Working...